Style Name: Xperia Z1|Change

on 24 April 2014
At first glance a lot of money for a matchbox (remember them) sized piece of plastic but it works so well - especially when used in conjunction with the Smart Connect app to alter the phone settings whilst docked. A good solid clunk when the dock is engaged, holding the unit at the perfect viewing angle and an anti-slip treatment on the base that stop it skating around the desk complete the setup. Free postage and packing, and the fact that this is about £8 cheaper from Total Digital, made this accessory an obvious choice. Please be aware this ships with no cable so you will need your own micro-USB to plug into the rear of the unit.
on 11 September 2013
The dock looks smart, holds the phone well, and has a quality feel about it. However, it's way too expensive for what it is essentially a bit of black plastic - especially as there's no charger or cable included. When you connect the dock to power and drop your phone in, the home screen rotates to landscape... as long as there's power to it. Disconnect the power and the home screen flips back to portrait. More frustratingly it won't charge from my laptop USB socket - it must be a mains charger. I bought this to sit my phone neatly next to my laptop without having to connect it to the mains power - so it fails on that score.

UPDATE: One month on... I now keep this by the bed to charge the phone during the night and for that it is perfect. When docked, I have the XperiaZ 'Smart Connect' set up to automatically turn off wifi, data and sound etc. and initiate the alarm clock (which over-rides the silent mode!). A slightly different use to what I initially wanted it for, but I've adapted my expectations! It's actually ideal by the bed and saves me constantly opening/closing the USB flap for charging. All in all, I'm now happy with this purchase, so I'm upgrading my rating of 3 stars to 4 stars. Still reckon it's over-priced, though!

UPDATE August 2014: Still using this by the bed, and still find it really useful. However, after a software update my XperiaZ1 wouldn't 'stay awake' in the dock - after a couple of minutes the screen turned off, and I was left with no clock to look at during the night. I got round this with a simple app called 'caffeine' which is free in the Play Store. Works a treat.
33 comments|77 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 June 2014
Most charging docks I have used always seem to fall short or, in some cases, over... This dock supports the Z2 and when it is locked into place it is very steady. The magnetic lock slots into place with a satisfying 'clunk' and the whole thing suddenly looks like a very swish TV. My only gripe, and this is no biggy, is that the magnet is a fraction too eager to hold onto the tablet, it's a two handed job to remove the tablet!
on 3 October 2013
I ordered this yesterday as my charging port broke and would not charge i could not be without a phone. It fits perfectly and that price is certainly alot cheaper than what I would have to pay to get my phone fixed
on 23 July 2014
After reading alternative products reviews I decided to go "official" and I don't regret it. It is a bit pricey since you only get that little black box, no cables/adapters.

After trying other two so called magnetic connectors this is the only one that actually works. On the other products the metal bit between connectors is jut a piece of metal. In this one is actually a magnet, so strong that you can lift the phone, with the dock and the cable attached to it without disconnecting!

The connections are sitting low and they raise when you put the phone in front, you do not need to place it accurately, just put the phone somewhere, slide it and both magnets will snap. Brilliant!
on 9 March 2014
Excellent product which does what it says and charges the xperia z well. Would recommend for all xperia z owners.
on 2 June 2014
Although the Z2 tablet says it's waterproof I reckon the constant opening of the small and fiddly latches would soon render this waterproof capability a but suspect. The answer? A magnetic charging dock. Not only does it charge the Z2 inj trhe same amount of time, placed by the computer it also looks rather good and allows the tablet to be used whilst being charged. It's not as portable as a normal plug/mini-USB lead but you could carry it around in a laptop bag if required. All I know is it works and is saving me the hassle of fiddling with the Z2 latches which are the only real downside to that tablet.
on 5 January 2015
I've had my Sony Experia Z2 for some time, and although there has not been any issue at all with the charging socket cover, I'm conscious of the possibility that it may eventually work loose. I have been removing the cover daily for charging and as it is a waterproof cover any slack in the fitting would not be desirable. I therefore purchased the charging dock to enable ease of charging. I was slightly concerned with some of the negative coments with regards to fitting and durability. I soon discovered that there was no need. The dock comes with 2 inserts that in total offers 3 different fitting widths. I have a Snakehive leather flip case, also bought through Amazon, and with this case on it slips into the dock very easily. The magnets quickly locate and the phone just snaps into place. As it only takes a second to remove this case, I have recently started charging out of the case as it just looks nicer. There are various options on the phone for what is displayed during charging, and the audible tone when charging is complete. There seems to have been some concerns about how light the dock is and that it would move about to easily. There is some foundation in this while the dock is empty, but the weight of the phone overcomes this. Because I only ever use mine in exactly the same place on my computer desk, I have use double sided tape to secure it, which makes it very stable. Again this is not a permanent fix and is easily removed if needed. All in all a good genuine Sony product. I'm not sure how third party compatibles would fair.
on 31 October 2014
So, what should we expect from a Sony magnetic charging dock?

1. It's Sony, so it should be well built - it is (hooray).
2. It's Sony, so it should be well designed - it is... well almost (well, almost hooray then).
3. It's Sony, so it should be twice the price of the competition - it is (damn it).

To be honest, I expected the first and the last points to be true. Sony always make sturdy tech that does what you'd expect for twice the price you'd actually like to pay. Unfortunately, it's let down by point number 2 and it's here that it loses a star.

First the good stuff: it's a magnetic charger, so you drop your phone into the surprisingly neat little cradle, then slide it along until it clicks into place and starts charging. It's so easy, you can do it in the dark with one hand (no mean feat with a phone this big). Okay, it doesn't come with a USB lead or a plug, but the phone did and presumably you used these to charge it before, so there's no real problem there. All good so far.

Now, here's the rub: it's advertised as having a clever removable insert that you can swap for a bigger one that accommodates your phone when it's in a case. The only problem is that very few cases are actually thin enough to work with it. In fact, as far as I know only 3 on the market work (Sony's own "Style" Case, CaseMate's "Barely There" and some German case that costs almost as much as the phone did). If you're going to sell a dock that works with cases on (and please do continue to do so), why not offer a little more flexibility? Don't ask me how. You're Sony, figure it out for yourselves - that's why we pay you twice as much as the competition.

All in all, it works. It might just be worth checking out a cheaper alternative next time.
on 13 August 2013
So I thought to myself, buying a piece of Sony kit for over £20 for a docking station, could I justify it...YES! It was one of the best accessories I've purchased for a phone. So easy to use, I keep mine at work so I can keep the charge topped up and run off to meetings or lunch without having to unplug cables.

It's a perfect fit for the phone and looks really stylish too. I'll buy another one soon to use at home for my alarm clock stand and overnight charge.