Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn more Shop now Shop now

on 22 January 2014
I got this Sony BDP-S5100 3D Blu-ray player as an exchange for a recently bought Panasonic DMP-BDT230EB which was failing after a month (you can read my review of the Panasonic separately).

Looking at various ratings from review sites, it looked like a candidate for a good player.

However, as soon as I put a 3D Blu-ray disc into it, the player ramped up the spin speed, and everything started to rattle and shake very badly. Anything in contact with the player, even through the HDMI cable connector, touching it, would transmit the vibrations and make the table and TV stand (in our case) resonate!
Lay your finger gently on the player while that happens, and it's very strongly felt!

It felt like the disc plate was not properly balanced, and making the player shake when a disc was spinning at high speed.

This meant that every time I put a Blue-ray disc in there, I had to go and physically adjust the player's position!

After a few minutes (maybe the player needs to spin the disk that fast only for a while), the vibrations would die down, but were still there. Note that DVDs obviously were spun nowhere near as fast - there was no problem. Blu-ray 2D disc were quite noisy too, but nowhere near as bad as 3D discs.

Networking was straightforward (I connected using Wi-Fi), the Sony Entertainment Network appeared to work, streaming was surprisingly working well (trying BBC iPlayer on a slow 2 Mbps broadband connection).

In term of video quality, 3D Blu-ray playback was fine; I couldn't detect anything wrong. The player would also automatically adjust the 3D effect if you enter the size of your TV screen (in centimetres).
2D Blu-ray playback was fine too.
DVD playback on the other hand, was not good. The first disc I tried was Avatar, which simply looked enlarged up to HD resolution, but without much done to it; so there was a lot of fuzziness. To be fair, this came after experiencing Panasonic's excellent upscaling, so maybe Sony's effort was simply 'standard'. I had the feeling the colours were not that great though, and this was confirmed quickly: The second disc I played was Sherlock Holmes (with Robert Downey, Jr.). It looked washed out, and I suddenly realised that the characters' faces were quite green, with "patches" visible. It took quite a bit of fiddling with the player's settings, and my TV's too, to get rid of the worst of that - and still the colours weren't really lively.

I have a large collection of DVDs, and do not want to spend 10 minutes every time fiddling with controls until the picture is acceptable.

I also do not really the initial shaking and rattling of playing 3D Blu-ray discs (and that can't be good for the player, surely!).

So this player went back. Sorry Sony.
on 7 January 2014
Sony have yet again produced an outstanding Blu-ray player, the picture quality is fantastic in both 3D and 2D, you can even simulate 2D discs into 3D at a push of a button. This has built in wifi enabling you to link to the internet etc. If you are going to buy a 3D Smart blu-ray player, I suggest you give this one a thought.
on 13 December 2013
We'll advertised, packaged and posted fast. I was really surprised this item was as good as it sounded.
Really good all round, modern blue ray. Really enjoying the Wi-Fi on demand tv. starts up and discs play very quickly.
on 8 April 2013
This Blu Ray player is an awesome bit of kit, Watch internet TV, normal DVD's, games, music, what more can I say, its just great. Very handy being able to surf the net when need be. I highly recommend this product.
on 17 November 2013
originally bought the 4100 with a view to attaining wifi through a dongle, but it;s cheaper to buy the 5100 as it's preloaded with iplayer and lovefilm and streams in HDc from either, and from Mubi and Youtube. An excellent purchase, and the DVD upscaler works well too. Easy to set up, but made slightly more complicated by Sony's need for you to register not just the product but with SNES as well.
on 8 December 2013
This player is excellent value.
setup was easy, apart from I had significant issues with intermittent black screens and loss of audio. I fixed this with a combination of a mid level hdmi and various settings.
Excellent visual and audio reproduction.
Range of online apps is fine.
on 22 February 2015
Received as a Xmas present 2013. Smart, functional and able to cope with anything needed. Used on Netflicks, B rays USB stick photo slideshow.

Only 2 stars however as it has simply died after 14 months. Returned to my local Sony centre where my wife and friends put together to purchase this then £200 machine for my 50th birthday.
Staff kindly offered to have a look as unit was 2 months out of warranty. They managed to break the DVD flap. when opening it up but declared the unit dead, apologised and offered to sell me its replacement for £70 has it would cost £60 for a repair estimate.
Great value for money I thought at £14 a month...........

I examined it my self afterward but no sign of burning on power PCB or main PCB. No loose lines.
on 20 January 2014
EU plug not British, seems to be fine though! Not expected after reading description..............instructions useless also! for price Im happy, Currys have for £99 but none in the world as well as John Lewis so happy to have one at this price. Cheaky though with EU plug
on 19 May 2013
This is an excellent machine, loads quickly, looks great and works as you'd expect from Sony. However, be aware that it is delivered with a European two prong plug, so you need an adaptor for the UK.
A decent price and plays Blu-ray Discs beautifully. Also copes with SACD and most other formats. Wi-fi compatible with iPlayer and other online services available.Well worth the money. You may find that you are sold a continental model, however, which means getting a converter plug (around another fiver) and downloading a manual in English from the Sony site.