Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 27 May 2010
Edie has been trained by the Crib government since childhood to be a cypherteck, a world terraforming expert. And she is the best. Now, because of these skills, Edie has been kidnapped by mercenaries who want to utilize her skills on the Fringe worlds. As part of the plan to protect and control Edie, the mercenaries leash a serf, Finn, to her implant. If he goes too far from her or she dies, then he dies. The problems Edie has with this plan arise when she realises the whole plan hinges on getting the "seeds" from the first planet Edie tried to terraform, a world she tried to save - Scarabaeus. The process taking place there and the lead-up to getting there make this book one you will not be able to put down. Enhanced by the fresh SF ideas and the developing relationship between Edie and Finn, Song of Scarabaeus holds your attention from start to finish, and leaves you wanting more.

Sara Creasy has written a fantastic debut novel, I look forward to the sequel.
on 27 October 2011
Song Of Scarabaeus is a Science Fiction book written by Sara Creasy. Edie Sha'nim was born on the planet Talas to a native father and human scientist mother. Abandoned by her parents at birth and thought of as an outcast by the other natives Edie grew up in one of the camps where she displayed a natural talent for talking to tech. As a teenager she is rescued by the Crib they insert an implant into her arm that gives her a dose of the special neurotoxin that natives of Talas need in order to stay alive and she is trained to become the best cyphertech there is with an outstanding talent for biocyph seed technology. It is now some years later and Edie reluctantly works for the Crib travelling from planet to planet terraforming them with her biocyph expertise so that humans can inhabit the planet, whilst the Crib bleeds the inhabitants dry. The story begins with Edie kidnapped by renegade mercenaries who want to free the terraformed planets from being under the Crib's control whilst also making some money themselves. In order to keep Edie safe and to ensure that she complies with the mercenaries demands they assign her an escaped freedom fighter now captured slave called Finn. Finn has a chip is in head that is linked to Edie's chip so if Edie dies or is further than 2000m away Finn will die too. The mission that the mercenaries have kidnapped Edie for is to go to the planet Scarabaeus and retrieve the non-working BRAT's that Edie put there seven years ago.

I really enjoyed this book. It took me a little bit of time to get into it as I thought the start was a bit slow but once we get into the action the pace soon picked up. I like Edie she isn't your feisty action hero girl but more or a nerdy geeky one, she seems to have had a pretty sheltered life at the hands of the Crib and she relies on the protection of others. And then there is the gorgeous brooding tough guy Finn who plays the reluctant hero. I have a huge soft spot for him and I wouldn't have restrained myself like Edie did when they find themselves alone together. The supporting characters were very interesting too especially the navpilot Cat who could have a book in her own right. Despite the sexual chemistry between Edie and Finn there wasn't that much romance going on. Their relationship and banter between them reminded a lot of Mac and Barrons from the Fever series. So if you are looking for steamy scenes you will be disappointed but if like me you love it when an author builds the sexual tension rather than just have characters go at it like bunnies you will enjoy this book. I hope this continues to be the case in the next book until we get a sexual explosion of major proportions. The science parts of the book were hard science in my opinion and sometimes I was a bit lost with all the descriptions but I still managed to get the gist of what was going on. I loved visiting the planet Scarabaeus Ms Creasy created a fascinating place along with horrifying descriptions of the events that follow. I will warn you now, there is a big cliffhanger ending but that is ok becasue the second book Children Of Scarabaeus is already out so you don't have to wait to find out what happens next. In fact I am off now to purchase it. I would like to give this book 4 out of 5 stars and would recommend this to people who like Sci Fi who like a little bit of Romance.
on 2 December 2012
This book might be small, by a relatively unknown author, but I can assure all sci-fi fans, it is worth a read. The story is well written, it flows so well that you do not want to put it down, the subject is imaginitive but plausible - despite being set some considerable time in the future, and the characterisation is wonderful with a little nicely-handled love interest. Buy it, you will not be disappointed! My wife has read it; as an author herself (but not a regular sci-fi fan), she loved it - true praise indeed!