on 29 September 2013
Jams N. Roses has a talent for walking on the dark side and I have no hesitation whatsoever in awarding `Son of a Serial Killer' five stars.

Many years ago someone handed me a book to read with the words, "You might enjoy this." I can't remember what it was called now but it covered the true story of couple who picked up hitch-hikers in the California / Nevada desert areas, raped them, tortured them and inevitably killed them. I had no idea why this person felt I would enjoy this book but out of duty I read it, and against my better judgement found myself being so drawn to the main character that I started to feel sorry for the rapist-killer.

His upbringing was atrocious, and he was never, ever going to grow up to be a choirboy. Now as I set out to write a review of Serial Killer and not this other book, I mention this only in passing because Jams N. Roses has that same talent in that even though the reader knows the protagonist, Ben, is a killer he is drawn to him and desperately wants him to champion the evil forces within himself and return victorious.

And it is these evil forces that Roses defines so well, for the author explores the dark side of schizophrenia with a rare talent. Schizophrenia can be an alarming and agonising condition and Ben finds himself journeying through a world that is barren, demented and persecuted by distorted consciousness. He is disgusted and frightened by the face in the mirror.

However, if you think Ben is the only character in this book that is slightly unhinged, you're in for a treat. His girlfriend, Natalie, is a pure psychopath, working all the time towards whatever is in her own best interests with absolute no guilt feelings or capacity for remorse. She has no redeeming characters except her body which she uses to her advantage whenever she feels the need. The reader actually wants Ben to kill her.

But that isn't all. Roses explores cruel and detestable people as well as those who, to be less than delicate, are completely off their rocker. I won't spoil the story by giving away secrets, but you've got the detective inspector with the ubiquitous hip flask, her superior who is, as expected, on her case to `crack the case' and the mentally ill mother.

I thoroughly recommend this book.
on 29 September 2013
Very cleverly written book, thoroughly enjoyed it. Read it in one sitting. An unusual story, but a very good read all the same,
on 11 September 2013
This is a really decent read. I thought it was well put together and had a decent plot that didn't try to be too clever and then tie itself up in knots either. The author is a bloody good guy who responded to a mail I sent him too giving some advice on writing, really refreshing to see, thanks mate.
on 28 September 2013
Marvelous psychological thriller. Fast plot with interesting characters. There's a lot of excitement in this novel. Fans of a good, quick read will definitely enjoy this book.
on 4 June 2013
I think I should feel guilty for enjoying fiction about serial killers but I find the genre too interesting. This is a particularly intriguing example. It's one that you will keep turning the pages until the end - make a pot of coffee and be ready to stay put for ages. :)

I look forward to more if the author can produce the goods - can't say fairer than that!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 1 February 2016
I enjoyed this book a lot, although it is not for the faint of heart! A decent serial killer thriller with an unexpected twist. If you're into crime, mystery and gore, this is a great read. I just wish it had been a little longer! I notice the author has written sequels, I shall have to check them out.
on 9 February 2014
This book is an excellent psychological thriller though the writing style sometimes seems a bit strange because it is rather concise due to the many simple sentences the author uses. However, this unique style has a strong effect on the reader and it actually makes the story even more enjoyable.

Though the main character commits crimes in the novel, this is really the story of his struggle to find a right path among the influences of his own anger, the evil influence introduced through his mother's mental illness and the countermanding voice of his own conscience.

Other characters in the story introduce good and bad influences but, overall, it seems that evil will triumph unless the main character can find it in himself to take a desperate stand against it.

Overall, I think it's a great thriller, however, due to the extremely graphic description of sexual and murder scenes, some people might find it a bit offensive. So please, read the sample chapter before downloading it.
on 28 September 2013
Brilliant, absolutely brilliant. The way it's written and also in the way the book immerses you into the plot so quickly and seamlessly. I couldn't put it down until I'd finished it
on 11 June 2013
A brilliant book that is well written and keeps you hooked. A serious page turner!
It's definitely my kind of story but that's all I'm willing to say as I don't want to give anything away.

Well deserved 5 stars!
on 13 June 2013
This is a smart, hip, slickly written serial killer thriller. An intense story that grabs you by the throat from the opening sentence and doesn't let go. This should appeal to fans of 'American Psycho' and dark stories in general. The author has a talent for dialogue. All the characters are well-drawn. The book is dark and intense but also sophisticated and disturbing. Guaranteed to get under your skin.