Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now

Format: Paperback|Change

on 12 May 2013
Having just finished this book I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed it. I have been a fan of Lauren Graham since seeing her in the Gilmore Girls and had mixed emotions towards reading a book written by the actress- would it live up to my expectations?

The story focuses on the main character Frances or Franny and her journey towards making it as an actress in New York. I found Franny to be a believable and likeable character. At times I felt too much time was spent on her romantic relationships which seemed to fizzle out too quickly. Her reaction to revelations regarding her college boyfriend as well as awkward moments with her flatmate seemed to be bypassed quite quickly in order to move the career part of the story along. This sometimes worked well and at other times felt rushed.

All in all the book is written well and had a strong and funny story. I finished it within a few days and found it quite easy to read. I did find that the book seemed to end rather abruptly and hope that Graham follows up her debut with a sequel focusing again on this set of characters.

NOTE TO KINDLE USERS- the book features hand written drawings and notes which are from the filofax of the main character. I found it quite difficult to read this on my kindle fire hd. It didn't affect my enjoyment of the book but was a but annoying as they are printed very small on the screen.
on 1 August 2015
I like Lauren Graham since I was a teenager and a fan of Gilmore Girls, and stay when I come across to her interviews. I have always thought there was not that much difference between her character in Gilmore Girls and herself; both funny, down-to-Earth women, with a similar sense of humor. I was expecting this book to be similar and I was right. Lauren Graham, her character in Gilmore Girls, and the main character of this book Franny could make best friends.

I still didn't have much expectations. I mean Ms Graham is a good actress and a fun person but that does not necessarily mean she would be a good writer. Turns out she is. The book was much better than my expectations with its writing and vocabulary - I'm not a native English speaker, I like the books that make me look up to a dictionary and this book certainly did. The story is simple, perhaps a little cliché especially if you work in the entertainment industry like I do, it's the characters and writing that make the book enjoyable from the beginning to the end. Speaking of the end, I liked how Ms Graham ended the story at a point you get curious what Franny's career will lead and where her private life is going to. I don't know if there will be a sequel but I like that she left Franny's future to our imagination.

A little warning: I read the book in ebook format on iPad. Since you can't zoom in on iBooks, I couldn't read most of the drawings and handwritten writings on Franny's calendar. It's a good idea to get the paperbook version instead of ebook.
on 30 April 2013
Lauren Graham/Lorealai Gilmore wrote a book!

I think there is a certain amount of dread whenever a favourite actor or singer decides to try writing a book, this almost instant assumption that it's not going to end well. I didn't have this feeling when I heard about Lauren Graham's debut, in fact I believed out right that she could do it, and I was proven right.

Make no mistake though, this is very much chick-lit, but it's at least well written and well thought out chick-lit, which makes all the difference. The story here concerns an actress living in New York, who is slowly slinking towards the deadline she set for herself to have 'made it' by. The main character here, called Franny Banks is very likeable, and it's very easy to simply picture Graham herself as the lead, whether it is supposed to be drawn from her own life I'm not sure, but if you're buying this book because of her name, chances are you will picture her while reading too.

The book does have the pre-requisite love interests/love triangle, and yes it is obvious who she will eventually end up with, though Graham wisely has a little fun getting self-referential about these things through the characters to the point where it's more amusing than cliched.

Overall this is a well-written, well-meaning, easy read from a great actress who has seemingly succeeded in a field where others have failed, and I hope it goes on to be a success for her.
on 11 May 2013
This is a beautifully written and inspiring book, in which you take an emotional journey with the central character, Franny Banks, who is aspiring to become an actress, starting out in New York City. The story reveals the ups and downs of an aspiring actress, with many quirks along the way.
Franny Banks is someone you will enjoy getting to know, through her friends, love interests and living in Brooklyn.
A highly recommended novel- a must read if you are looking for a funny, entertaining and heart-warming book.
Looking forward to the next book written by Lauren Graham, which is the companion to the debut novel.
on 4 July 2013
I would rate this book 3.5 stars if I had the option of half stars.

I have to admit that I'm not that familiar with Lauren Graham. I've heard of her, but I haven't watched Parenthood, Bad Santa or Gilmore Girls. I understand she has a huge fan base though. It's always interesting to read a book by an actor, especially when the book's protagonist is an actor trying to make her way in the business. I wonder if any of it is autobiographical?

As mentioned, the novel follows an inspiring actress, Franny Banks, a woman in her mid-twenties who has given herself a deadline to make it in acting. All she seems to get is auditions for commercials. She struggles to pay her way in New York and to hold down a job as well as audition for everything that comes up.

I thought Someday, Someday, Maybe was a really enjoyable read. It was relatable in the way that many people of Franny's age and either younger or older are struggling with what comes next in their life, many are struggling to meet their own personal goals without becoming completely disillusioned. I enjoyed the characters. Franny was a fun character. She was incredibly likeable. I really liked her friend Jane as well. Their close friendship was portrayed beautifully. Jane reminded me of my best friend. I thought Dan, Franny and Jane's roommate was completely adorable.

I would class Someday, Someday, Maybe as a chick-lit read, but it's not your average chick-lit. The romances are in the novel, but they're not integral to the storyline. I didn't really buy into the romances, but I think this is because they weren't a main focus in the story. It wasn't imperative to believe the romances to enjoy the book. The focus is mainly on Franny and how she grows as the novel progresses. I liked how it was focussed on the struggles an actor goes through when they're trying to make it. It was full of funny scenes including the auditions, the experiences of having an agent, misunderstandings and plenty of "Is this my moment?" minutes.

I think if I had any criticism of this book it would be that nothing major really happens. It plods along nicely, and it's easy to read, but I didn't have any `Wow' moments when I was reading it. Lauren Graham does write well though, I'd be interested to read anything else that she writes.
on 5 January 2015
If you're a fan of Lauren Graham or of Gilmore Girls, you'll definitely enjoy this book. If you want a funny and quirky quick read, this novel is perfect. Franny's insecurities and worries will be familiar to anyone who's had a dream or a goal, or who just needs that extra shot of self-belief. Being a big LG fan, I might be biased but this is a great debut novel. Having said that, I've read books by other people I admire and found them just plain boring. I'm looking forward to seeing what's next for Franny Banks.
on 17 October 2015
Having read this, and also watched Gilmore Girls and Parenthood which I've loved, it's perfectly obvious that Lauren Graham is always Lauren Graham and can't dial it down a notch. For me, her chatty, engaging, sometimes machine-gun delivery of wit that works so well on screen didn't work so well for me in this book.
I persisted and finished it, but I found it an exhausting effort. Others may not.
on 16 April 2014
A fun read- reminded me a bit of a blog I used to follow " this fish needs a bicycle" and the book "I was told there would be cake": both of which I loved.
I didn't quite follow the diary bits but overall I loved this book. I didn't want it to end! Read even if you don't know or like Lauren. It might be semi autobiographical but that doesn't change the fact that us a great book.
on 30 May 2015
If you don't know Lauren Graham you'll find that it's a good enjoyable read. If however, like me, you are a fan of hers, you will of course hear her voice and relate as you read the words spoken by her character. She is after all a very lovable person who has left a remarkable impression mainly from her acting in the series "Gilmore Girls".
on 15 February 2014
I really hope Lauren Graham writes another story, either a sequel or something else. I loved her writing style and was so surprised that I devoured this book in just 1 day. As a fan of her acting I suppose I didn't go into this book with very high expectations and instead found it far better than I expected! Please say Lauren is writing more!