on 9 June 2010
To be perfectly honest, don't expect most of the book to be devoted to Richard Feynman. That said, in my opinion, the book does give an interesting insight on how Feynman was in everyday life near his end (e.g. his rivalry with Murray Gell-Mann).

For me, the most interesting aspect of the book is the struggle of the author to figure out if his future lies in fundamental research or not. It's a struggle I've myself experienced and I find this book to best portrait and explain it. I would strongly recommend this reading to all PhD students.
on 9 January 2009
I very much warmed to this touching account of grad school doubt and uncertainty. It is autobiographical of the author rather than a biography of Feynman. The author's experience of working in what can only have been a very intellectually intimidating environment is interesting and quite frank. Feynman is held as a distant and almost aloof character-very different from Feynman's own accounts in "Surely you're joking" etc. Despite this the author seems to have found inspiration in the time spent with Feynman.
on 23 February 2016
The book is excellent even though the pages are a bit yellowish due to its old lifespan and also smell a little bit like ciggarette. Let's say the book have personality due to its cheap price. But it is the best book that I have read so far. Love everything about it.
on 19 October 2007
I was slightly puzzled by this book. Despite the title its really an autobiography about the authors time at Caltech in which he came across Feynman about two times. His 'time' with Feynman was extremely limited as Feynman clearly thought the guy was a pain in the backside. If you read between the lines you can see that Feynman just sees Mlodinow as a stalker.