Format: Paperback|Change

on 18 May 2013
I bought this book for my Mum who knows the area Philip writes about very well and watches the shows he appears in on tv. She read his first book previously and thoroughly enjoyed both of them, I heard her laughing out loud! Cheers, Phil!
on 21 October 2012
[This is a really good read,[ASIN:0340895039 Sold to the Man w
ith the Tin Leg]]
This is a really good read, Ideal for a train journey if you don't mind people staring at you as you giggle your way through it!!! It is possibly funnier than Phillip Serrels first book An Auctioneers lot, I'm waiting for one on his funniest moments on "bargain Hunt" and" Antiques Road Trip"
on 9 April 2007
In this sequel to An Auctioneer's Lot Philip is once again joined by his eccentirc boss Mr Rayer (he of the tin leg) and Windy (his name deriving from his unfortunate flatulence problem). Join Mr Serrell as he continues his training to be an auctioneer, and he continues to get into scrapes both professional and personal. There's the time when having found 5 complete antique dining chairs, he finds th 6th in pieces and puts it by the door of the house they are clearing, only to find later that Windy and his pal have just thrown the last leg into their bonfire. Then there's his personal life, a few disastrous dates with Rosemary Hall, nicknamed Albert for obvious reasons. The first 2 dates are a disaster but by the 3rd date things seem to be improving slightly, he only manages to run out of petrol this time, in the middle of a torrential downpour. Also Philip's dates with Albert are sometimes thwarted by Mr Rayer wanting to go out to see clients which he never rushes, mind you with the state of Mr Rayers driving they are lucky to get there and back in one piece. Mr Rayer has never been directly involved in an accident, this is because he never realises he has had one, he just carries on regardless leaving devastation and destruction behind. Throroughly enjoyed this book can,t wait for the next installment, where I hope to find out how he progresses with Albert Hall.
on 29 January 2013
With every word you read you can hear Philip's voice. A very funny read and took me straight back to the early 70's when I worked for an auction house. The only downside is that it wasn't longer!!
on 25 May 2015
Philip Serrell, the man off the telly, writes a thoroughly entertaining novel. The adventures of a young man starting out in the auction business are a cracking good read and had me chuckling all through the book. Warning - do not read this book if you are in a public place as you will get strange looks when you start chortling.
on 17 April 2016
Yes I liked this book, told in an easy writing fashion, it was an enjoyable read. I believe this guy was on tv but as I don't watch the goggle box I didn't know him. I would definitely read another of his books, and to me that's a recommendation.
on 20 February 2016
I found this to be an interesting, and in parts a very funny book. As a person who has always lived in or close to towns, the stories of country life in the 1970s was most educational. I completely disagree with reviewers that this was an effort by Mr Serrell to capitalise on his TV work. It is a well written book, as is the first one, 'the auctioneers lot', and does not rely on his exposure in the media at all. My only criticism of both books is the price. £5.99 and £6.99 is very expensive for two such short books, and I would suggest that it is the publisher who is trying to cash in on Mr Serrell's celebrity!! I would certainly buy more of this author's work and recommend it thoroughly.
on 23 April 2008
Firstly I disagree with the book only selling because of his face being known on tv, personally I had never seen him on tv, I am more a book person. I read his first book and laughed out loud and really looked forward to reading this book, although it was still a good read, it was not as good as the first and seemed like he had got his best stories into the first book and these stories were the left overs, still funny but second rate to the first one.
on 25 June 2014
Being a big fan of Bargain Hunt and other similar TV shows I was aware of Philip Serrell as an Expert & Auctioneer but was totally unaware that he was now an author. I was therefore delighted to find "An Auctioneer's Lot" and "Sold to the Man With the Tin Leg" whilst browsing through the Kindle Store last month. I found them outrageously funny and "unputdownable". I look forward to Mr. Serrell's next efforts and (in the nicest possible way) and see him becoming the "James Herriot" of the Auctioneers world. I had some strange looks whilst laughing out loud reading of "Windy's" affliction when lying on a sunbed on a recent holiday in Crete!
on 3 November 2008
I like listening to stories to go to sleep by. Or if I can't sleep. This audio edition I thought was good. It was funny and interesting.
The only thing is I want to know what happened between him and "Albert". It finished leaving me wondering what happes next.