Customer Discussions > Dredd (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray) forum

So which came first: The Raid or Dredd?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 24 Jan 2013 07:26:48 GMT
Cartimand says:
Bit of a coincidence that The Raid and Dredd share the same plot, the same setting and much of the same action? So who ripped off who?

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Jan 2013 11:41:40 GMT
J. Martin says:
It's very well known the the script for Dredd was written well before The Raid, however it was leaked online and it's suspected that that's where the script for The Raid came from. So if true the producers of The Raid had to rush through their film to get it out before Dredd, so it didn't look like they ripped off Dredd, however the likely case is they did.

The long and the short is Dredd is the one that came first in production terms, because it was written and shot before The Raid, but a very long post-production meant it came out after The Raid.

It's such a nuisance, because The Raid should be one everybody is calling a rip-off.

Posted on 24 Jan 2013 19:27:59 GMT
Cartimand says:
Well the makers of Dredd should be suing the socks off Gareth Evans and the other makers of The Raid, because the two films are uncannily similar.

In fact The Raid and Dredd resemble each other far more than some official remakes, like the two versions of The Wicker Man for example.

I only bought the blu-ray of Dredd, having watched a mate's copy of The Raid. Had I bought both movies, I would have felt cheated as well.

Posted on 24 Jan 2013 19:46:35 GMT
Last edited by the author on 24 Jan 2013 20:27:09 GMT
Cartimand says:
Given the ambiguity regarding which came first, I think my initial review of Dredd was unfair. I've deleted it and am redoing it now.

Posted on 27 Jan 2013 15:13:22 GMT
RabbitHole says:
There is no ambiguity at all. Dredd was written first, and only its long post production meant that it was released after The Raid.

Posted on 29 Jan 2013 13:55:35 GMT
sjconstable says:
They're both good films, and it's probably just coincidental. It's not exactly an original concept is it - Die Hard, anyone?

Posted on 30 Jan 2013 10:07:55 GMT
I think it is just strange coincidence, but The Raid managed to release their film first. Its a shame really, maybe Dredd would have done better at the box office if it came first.

Posted on 5 Mar 2013 15:01:49 GMT
deano says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on 29 May 2013 09:10:59 BDT
I've seen both and I think Dredd is better than The Raid.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  7
Total posts:  9
Initial post:  24 Jan 2013
Latest post:  29 May 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Dredd (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray)
Dredd (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray) by Karl Urban (Blu-ray - 2013)
4.5 out of 5 stars (1,350)