Customer Discussions > Final Fantasy XIII (PS3) forum

So what do people think of it so far?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 28 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 8 Mar 2010 17:57:07 GMT
Mine arrived the other day from Zavvi. Feels completely different compared to the other games. Some good points. Some bad points. A lot of the stuff that made RPG games classics seem to be gone from the game which is a shame. But its still fun.

Posted on 10 Mar 2010 07:33:45 GMT
Crypsis says:
As I said to my friend >
"It looks gorgeous, but, It's like they took all the good elements from 7 & 8, flushed them down the toilet, re-released 10 & removed the RPG element."
I'm sure it'll get better.. I HOPE it'll get better.

Posted on 10 Mar 2010 09:08:44 GMT
Last edited by the author on 10 Mar 2010 09:37:16 GMT
Mr K says:
So many cutscenes, I can see why people said it's like watching a movie. However, I am on Chapter 4 now and really enjoying it. Graphically, it looks good, the characters are on the whole well voiced, apart from the slightly annoying Vanille. I love the Paradigm Shift system, meaning you can switch from an offensive setup to defensive or healing at any time during the battle, as needed. You can even customise it to suit your own playstyle. The battles themselves are fast-paced, in fact sometimes I struggle to keep up with queuing abilities, although, you can use the autobattle feature which seems to pick abilities pretty intelligently for you. I think the battles look great too.

On the whole I am pleasantly surprised after reading some very average reviews for this game, I would highly recommend it.

Posted on 10 Mar 2010 09:51:35 GMT
Crypsis says:
Haha, so far Vanille's character is one of the few reasons I'm still playing, she so funny :)

Posted on 10 Mar 2010 13:32:00 GMT
I love the graphics and the style is quite attractive. Gameplay is fun but so far it really feels like I'm just walking down one long path fighting enemies on the way.
The storyline seems alright; I'm sort of getting into it now but I haven't really fell in love with it yet. Characters seem stronger than FF12 but I haven't got attached to them either yet. Guess I'll just have to carry on playing~

Posted on 10 Mar 2010 21:15:45 GMT
AndyM says:
I was a bit unsure at first, especially the battle system and how linear it is but now i'm at chapter 4 and i'm really starting to get into it.

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Mar 2010 01:27:26 GMT
lmao...it wont

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Mar 2010 01:28:53 GMT
yeah...funny. we know the realy reason why you like her, lol

Posted on 11 Mar 2010 18:18:49 GMT
Last edited by the author on 11 Mar 2010 18:19:56 GMT
on chapter 8 the now and have to say very dissapointed, 10 hours of prerssing one button, no exploration, feels very child like due to how linear it is although the cut scenes are really good and the story is keeping me intrested to keep on playing but overall feel very let down by the gameplay. Theres no strategy to game at all.

Posted on 11 Mar 2010 23:39:52 GMT
I agree completely with Stephen. What happened to all the planning and thinking it took to win battles? I just seem to be fighting with the same strategy every time- 'attack attack attack' then 'heal heal heal'. If I lose a battle the first time I can just try again and whether I win is more a matter of luck than cunning.

Posted on 13 Mar 2010 10:44:20 GMT
@Stephen Hennan

played it for nearly 30 hours now and I promise you, strategy will come into it soon enough. I felt the same way as you until now. It gets a lot better.

@All

The first part of the game is PAINFULLY linear at times. It just seems that you run a bit, go into a nook to open a treasure chest/sphere, have a fight, watch a cut scene and repeat. It does however ease you in to the strategic side of the battle system which you'll thank it for later. You'll gradually find yourself 'Paradigm Shifting' relentlessly trying to stay alive. I'm quite missing the towns and NPC's which made the earlier games for me, but things move on so I'll just have to deal with it. Graphically, in the second stage of the game in particular, it is breathtaking! The enemies and landscapes are without equal.

Posted on 14 Mar 2010 10:37:03 GMT
I am also on Chapter 4 now and so far I think its a really good game. One or two of the characters are a little annoying like Hope but I love the Paradigm system. It is relatively easy to understand unlike FFXII. Graphics are excellent as usual but more so in this one. Bosses are not hard so far but I expect that to change the more I get into it. Just don't want t to end.........

Posted on 15 Mar 2010 00:32:22 GMT
Macca says:
This game is win.

Posted on 15 Mar 2010 13:11:35 GMT
S. J. Sutton says:
I'm on Chapter 4 too and am starting to like it after not really caring much at the beginning. Have just started to mess about with upgrades and the crystarium (?!) is starting to take shape. I hope there's a chance to free roam later otherwise I will be disappointed and will have to resort to playing ffviii instead

Posted on 18 Mar 2010 11:36:00 GMT
Last edited by the author on 25 Mar 2010 13:32:50 GMT
I've now played the game over 30 hours now and can say I appreciate it alot more now. In the beginning it was just so repetative I nearly gave up. Glad I didn't but once I got to Gran Pulse a bit of exploration came into it as well as the hunts/side quests and the battles are a lot harder especially the preist boss at the end of chapter 9 ( just before Gran Pulse). took time out here to raise the crystarium level as well which really helps you out later.

It is a good game and once you get by the 1st 10/15 hours, although a do miss exploring the towns but in the concept of the story you really are only in 2/3 towns the whole game. Overall i'm dissapointed think my own expectations for this were to high. I think i'm goin to play final fantasy 9 once again imo thtas the best one along with 7. Sqaure enix need to look at the older games and and make the next installment more like them. feel as if there going back the way it terms of producing games!

Posted on 19 Mar 2010 20:40:09 GMT
Ross says:
I've played it for about 8 hours now. I don't know whether I like or not that it until now feels like a big, neverending tutorial. Having no control about your party members (until now) doesn't help much.

The beginning was rather... let's say clumsy. Usually, games that begin with an "action" scene (e.g. start off with a boss-fight) tend to have a a more calm period afterward... where people talk and explain stuff... but although in FF13 they sometimes stop a little to rest or talk, you never get that feeling. You've got always the feeling you're running. The game does not let you have a quiet talk to your friends and stuff. Cutscenes rush in and leave again very choppy-ish. There seems not to be any connection between game play and cutscenes. You keep running, turn a little left, open a treasure, turn a little right, fight a group of monsters and wait for the next cutscene to come.

Specially at the beginning, battles feel like nothing else than pressing X and sometimes triangle. Later monsters get a little harder and you are forced to shift to a healing paradigm... Sometimes I just feel like characters don't give a **** about the whole game, except in cutscenes.

Until now, the game doesn't really give you any chance to explore anything. It's like a big connection of sausage-like roads you just rush through. There's nothing like, let's say, doing a side trip to somewhere to activate a lever or something to open a door on your main road... Instead everything you need to press is right in front of the door. Well..

Let's wait and see how it evolves. A good thing, thoguh, is that it changes the main character a lot. Although you can't choose. Actually, I feel like playing with a babysitter next to me all the time. I'm sure it will get better. I'm just afraid that after 4 chapters I only played so little...

Posted on 20 Mar 2010 14:56:09 GMT
personally, I'm really disappointed in this game. I have played all the previous final fantasy titles on playstation and I've loved them all. However, this feels like just a re-hash of ff10 and ff12. The story line feels too similar to ff10 and the bad guys look really familiar (I could swear I just fought some ff12 judges). Also, I've done nothing but press x during the battles. Boring.

There is no chatting to people, the upgrade system is weird and its so annoying that your progress is capped so there is little point in fully looking around once you've reached the current role levels. Not that there is any point in looking around as there is nothing to see off the beaten track. I miss the feeling of being able to go wherever I want when i want like in ff12.

On the plus side it does look amazing and I'm enjoying the cutscenes. The characters are ok, but a little predictable.

I'm sticking with it (I'm only at about 20 hours now). I'm hoping that it'll improve. Sorry to be so negative :( Just needed to vent.

Posted on 20 Mar 2010 15:18:04 GMT
Sunny says:
Nice graphics and cut scenes, no depth into the game, you can only control one character, too much dialogue, auto heal after each battle, no map to explore, not a role playing game, more like a CGI film, huge dissappointment.

Posted on 27 Mar 2010 07:48:01 GMT
Ok. I finished the game. Still very very disappointed. I'm gonna replay XII!!!

Posted on 9 Apr 2010 23:05:15 BDT
Helfire says:
Disappointed: linear, just battle after battle = whole game. Might as well be standing still with the enemies coming at me. Any control in leveling up is an illusion. The battle system is great, the visuals and music are stunning and it's nice to see strong female characters that aren't almost naked (even though Vanille runs like a muppet). For me it's one of 2 games which appeal to women on the PS3 (other is Little Big Planet). After this I will swap my PS3 for a Wii perhaps.

This is not an RPG at all, it is something much less. None of the elements I like about final fantasy such as free roaming, discovering new and secret areas, your choices affecting the game, going into villages and meeting people. Poop.

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Apr 2010 09:20:30 BDT
Last edited by the author on 10 Apr 2010 09:30:37 BDT
Ross says:
Have you played it through yet? Because once you get to chapter 11 you enter Grand Pulse, which is not only of a breathtaking beauty, but also tremendously huge. You could say whole Cocoon was just a small city inside of Grand Pulse. In Grand Pulse you do not only get a huge, non-linear, non-sausage-like, highly explorable, never-before-seen world, also you've got dozens and dozens of bosses (HARD bosses) and quests that easily double or triple your play time. If you've not tried it yet, you should give it a try. Grand Pulse is, actually, overwhelming. You get to the point of not knowing where to go, with so many places to choose from and so many things to do.

Chapters 1-10 are mostly about trying to bring a good story to the gamer.
Then, chapter 11, is about a nice gameplay, actually forgetting the story.

Wonder if Square Enix could have done better, if they thought a little about it.

As for the villages thing... FF13 takes place in a world now ruled by monsters (Pulse) and in which people/Fal'Cie created an artificial world/ball in the skies (Cocoon) where they can stay safe from the "underworld" (you know, hell -> Pulse). No one lives down there anymore, so no towns there. In Coccon though, You've got towns. But you do not have time to explore anything, since you're L'Cie and an enemy of Cocoon. In this aspect, Square Enix kept it very realistic. If you're a fugitive, are you going to play around in some towns? Besides that, you get to know Palumpolum, Nautilus and Eden a little, just as much as circumstances allow...

Posted on 12 Apr 2010 21:11:40 BDT
S. Aithwaite says:
Completely agree with JossFan. I'm at about 60hrs now and trying to do some of the mark missions and even with my charcacters maxed out on a couple of their role levels im getting hammered by some of the marks. there is a lot of strategy has to go into some of the later fights with paradigm shifts having to occur almost instantly to enable you to heal. Perhaps the only bad thing I would say about the game is that apart from picking their role you have no control over your teammates actions and what they are doing in a fight. ps if anyone knows a way to beat Neochu so I can get a Gold Watch please let me know. Its a friggin hard fight!!!!!

Posted on 18 Apr 2010 20:52:00 BDT
Steven Smith says:
i think it's a fantastic game loving the cut scene's on chapter 12 and the enemies are getting a we bit tougher got lightings weapon at lvl48 doing pretty good

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Apr 2010 17:26:45 BDT
set your roles to 2 sentinals & 1 sabatour and just keep hitting it with death till it dies, probly take a couple of trys but should only take 5-10 mins.

also equip your sabatour with the hermes sandles i think it is, for auto haste.

Posted on 23 Apr 2010 13:08:36 BDT
Hit the 100 hours last night....loving this now. Completed the main story, and now just fannying about with Marks, levelling up, maaing Ultimate Weapons and generally having a great time !! Love it !!!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  21
Total posts:  28
Initial post:  8 Mar 2010
Latest post:  29 Dec 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Final Fantasy XIII (PS3)
Final Fantasy XIII (PS3) by Square Enix (PlayStation 3)
3.4 out of 5 stars   (195)