Style Name: SC-100|Change

on 12 May 2013
We bought this for our son's 7th birthday.

As soon as he opened the present at 10am he played with it all day until the time he went to bed. It is well built, has over 30 parts, and each of the 100 projects are explained in the A4 booklet. Its sturdy and not too fiddly that a 7 year old needs to keep asking for your help every 5 minutes.

We did see some alternatives to this, but as they didn't allow you to create as many projects as this one, we thought they were overpriced. The same manufacturer (snap circuits) make kits with even more parts, and we have already discussed buying one of the more advanced models. They also make Upgrade kits too, so you can purchase only what you need instead. We were really happy, and in our opinion this present would be suitable for 6 - 8 years olds.
on 7 January 2013
bought this for 6 yr old with a little guidance he was creating various circiuts suits age 8-108!!!!
excellent for any1 wanting to understand basic circiuts upgrades available to create advanced circiuts like an AM radio
on 9 January 2016
Ok, I bought this for my 7 year old daughter for a Christmas present. Was she engaged? Yes! Can she follow the instructions (which are very good pictorially)? Yes! Can she read all the additional information about each of the circuits...? Yes, she can but doesn't bother to because it's lots of new words... Should I spend more time talking through each circuit with her? Clearly... but it's also fun (and useful) that she can spend long periods of time with this kit by herself... what am I saying therefore...?

Right... there's close to a hundred circuits in this kit. But a lot of them are basically repeats of earlier ones. She knows that (she's already told me). So basically when I see her "jumping ahead" in the book to find something more interesting then it tells me she's after more. Maybe I should have got the more advanced kit. But I also see her missing some of the obvious features about the circuits she's building because they're buried in the instruction text which she is not always inclined to try and read. She's also not learning "why" things work but just achieving the goal of completing the circuit on the page... I'll be honest here; I started programming computers way, way back by just copying computer program listings from the pages of magazines, so I've lived this pattern and it can work well!

I've primarily rated 4 stars because the kit is relatively simple, has a lot of repetition, fails to really deliver on teaching how and why the circuits do what they do in favour of engaging kids with cool sounds and flashy lights as a reward for following a diagram. This is good and useful, but could be better.

I/we are looking forward to continuing this together, especially if the upgrade kits are accessible in the UK.

It is a great thing however, and has huge potential for upgrades and continued passion, but if you can teach the "how" in a better way it would be totally awesome... but I can also see that as kids grow up further the information you provide may do exactly that...

...so maybe I should shut up and just let my daughter get on with it!
on 19 April 2013
I bought this for my newphew's sixth birthday. He love's it - as does his brother and sisters, cousins, dad and grandfather.

It's fantastic fun and worht every penny, I can not recommend it highly enough.
on 30 January 2012
My grandson just loves this. It may seem expensive but is excellent for understanding circuits, and can be used with other sets. Very educational and fun, solo or with a friend.
'Peace at last!!'
on 10 March 2013
I bought this for our Grandson's 5th birthday although the age range which is given is for older. After making a few circuits with his Mum and Dad he was soon able to get the idea of what to do on his own. A good purchase.
on 28 April 2013
Bought this for my 5 year old daughter who is in love with this toy. She can navigate each project with just a little input from me. While she doesn't understand all of the reasoning behind each one, she will with time. In one day she has learnt that metal conducts electricity and has built the first 15 projects. Excellent value for money. Love it!
on 15 February 2015
Received this item yesterday after paying for next day delivery only to find it was a weird foreign version of the item shown / described. This is a huge disappointment as it was meant for my sons birthday and the real thing looks great. Definitely to be avoided!!!
on 29 November 2012
Excellent educational toy.
Very well thought out excellent instruction booklet and very well made.
would hesitate in recommending it.
we are looking to expand it by additional packs.
I bought this for my 10 year old nephew and, according to my brother and his wife, he has happily played with it all over Christmas and not gone near the computer and computer games (which is a first!). He has been creating all sorts of different circuits and projects with the set. My brother told me that this is the most useful gift he has ever been given and he has spent many happy hours playing with it.