Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

on 30 June 2014
I liked this book very much and found it very helpful in guiding me through an area of cuisine that I have never attempted before, as smoking and curing food always seemed to me to be something for professional cooks only and way beyond the range of my own rather limited culinary skills. However, the recipes were simple and easy to follow and I was gratified by the success I achieved right from the start in producing delicious and professional-looking dishes without the disappointments I usually encounter when trying out new recipes.

The Old Smokehouse is a must-have book if, like me, you are venturing into the specialist area of smoking and curing food for the first time and need step-by-step instructions and easy-to-follow recipes to guide you through each step of the way. This book has these in abundance and is written in a professional but lighthearted style which gave me the confidence I needed to attempt something completely outside my culinary comfort zone. I am really proud of the results I achieved and would recommend the book to anyone who, like me, would like to try something new but needs the encouragement and expertise the book provides to take the initial plunge.
on 4 May 2014
This book is certainly packed with fantastic recipes. For most cookbooks, that would be its main selling point, but they are in fact of secondary importance to this one, which also features detailed explanations of the techniques and principles of food smoking, providing you with all the tools you need to start experimenting and devise dishes of your own, limited only by your imagination. The author is clearly very passionate and knowledgable about the subject and the many innovative takes on classic recipes he offers have inspired me to explore a cooking discipline that before reading this book, I had no idea could even be practiced at home.

Be sure to try some of their readymade products, too. They are available for order via their website ([...]). I am totally addicted to the smoked salt!
on 30 April 2014
I am loving this book, I have only tried one simple recipe and the ribs were amazing, I cannot wait to get busy again with my smoker and try all of the mouth watering recipes. The book is also entertaining - very fun way to learn, which is why I prefer this "smoking" cookery book to several others that I have read.
on 23 April 2014
A fantastic compendium of really useful and interesting recipes to try as soon as you can! I really enjoyed trying the BBQ recipes and the Hot smoked mackerel! ;-)
on 20 May 2014
A terrific book. Everything is so clear and straight forward it's easy to use. Well explained with good tips.
I am really pleased to be able to explore "smoking" properly now. And so many good ideas. Top stuff!
on 30 November 2014
The author seems to know his stuff. Well researched and easy to follow.
on 21 February 2015
As an introduction to home smoking, I found this book almost completely useless. Almost totally concerned with recipes for sauces, marinades,and smoking mixtures. Virtually no mention of actual types of smoker, or procedures, about the only method is that of using a wok (I have just placed an order for a smoker/barbecue unit). For the novice, this book is a complete waste of money.
on 30 March 2015
A complete WASTE of money!! As a previous reviewer pointed it, this book is just a series of recipes and tells you practically nothing about equipment or the smoking processes. Absolutely no good whatsoever for the novice just starting out. Is there a way I can get my money back for this completely useless piece of junk? I would award this book ZERO stars if I could.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse