CONTROLLING RED MITE INFESTATION Getting the upper hand with a severe Red Mite infestation requires persistence and attention to detail, and it may involve using more than one approach. Any control programme needs to pay attention to the following:
1. Operator hygiene and suitable protective clothing to prevent the spread of mite between sites.
2. Sealing up of as many joints and crevices as possible, to reduce the number of areas which harbour mite
3. Efficient disposal of mite-infested litter and debris, to prevent re-infestation
4. Study the Red Mite life cycle - repeat treatment needs to be undertaken within seven days to maximise the effect and 'catch' the largest possible number of mite.
5. Constant vigilance and prompt treatment of any hotspots.
6. Use of a poultry tonic or vitamin supplement to help the birds recover and increase their resistance to re-infection.
RECOMMENDED PROTOCOL FOR USE OF FOR RED MITE CONTROL IN POULTRY HOUSING:
If using dosing pump supplied, use 2 x 30ml shots per litre of water (6% solution), or dilute 1 part SMITE with 15-25 parts water (6.66% - 4% solution). Apply as suggested to the housing and equipment, using knapsack or hand sprayer. Use suitable protective clothing.
REMEMBER SMITE IS ALSO A VERY EFFECTIVE DISINFECTANT AND CLEANER - SO ONE PRODUCT DOES IT ALL THE MITE! - CLEAN AND DISINFECT!