Featured in The Independent
"An essential reference manual for students" - The Student Zone, October 2006
From the Back Cover
The Smarter Student's Study Guide
Skills and Strategies for Success at University
by Kathleen McMillan & Jonathan Weyers
- What are lecturers looking for in a tutorial?
- Whats the best way to plan for an assignment or exam?
- Where do you concentrate your efforts for maximum impact on your grades?
Whether youre a new student, you need a bit of help with your studies, or are simply up against an assessment crunch-point and dont know where to start, this book provides a toolkit of techniques and tips from the experts to help you focus your efforts and ensure your success.
Covering the entire University experience from Freshers Week to Graduation, this highly practical reference book is both a help manual for students and a bridge between Lecturers and Students expectations of study in Higher Education. The topic coverage, content, design and structure of the book have all been written from material with a proven track record of student success and student-tested to ensure:
- a focus on key issues and rapid solutions,
- a clear design so that you can immediately access the information you need,
- a common sense, no-nonsense approach with lots of practical checklists and tips,
- an avoidance of patronising assumptions and educational jargon.
This essential reference book has been written by experts and tested on students and will help any Higher Education student to focus their efforts, trouble-shoot any problems and thrive in their University studies.
Jonathan Weyers and Kathleen McMillan work within the University of Dundees Learning Enhancement Unit. Both have been teaching for over 25 years and now specialise in supporting academic skills. Their work has involved creating a University website for the development of students' transferable skills and developing and running specific academic skills courses and Summer School for students with exam re-sits with great success. Kathleens expertise lies in supporting academic writing and Jonathan is the co-author of the Pearson Education Practical Skills series. Between them they cover both the Arts and Sciences.