Format: Mass Market PaperbackChange

on 28 July 2002
Being nearly a life-long fan of the Original Trek Series, I looked forward to reading this book, however, at one stage, I nearly gave up on it. I also had a habit in the beginning of falling asleep, such was the soporific effect of the writing style. Thankfully, things began to hot up once Mr Spock figured out how to get the Arch working. I could have kissed him! He saved the book from becoming dire.
I would have appreciated more characterization. I felt the author simply assumed that everyone knew the personalities of everyone on board the Enterprise, therefore, disregarding the need to show us more about their characters. I felt the author could have written more. Especially in the beginning, there was an abruptness when it came to getting to know what was going on. And those Petraw people, I really couldn't get into them at all. They were very cardboard; Ming the Merciless; cheap science-fiction story types of aliens which left me feeling nothing for them. Maybe that was the author's intention, I don't know. Likewise, I felt there was a wooden quality to the Enterprise crew; a few lines here and there about how they felt; what was going on inside to motivate them. Ho hum, not the full blooded Starship Enterprise stalwarts I have come to expect.
Having said all that, I did read the book all the way through and certainly near the end it became riveting reading. I look forward to the next installment and I hope down the line to read all seven books.
So, yes, the book is an adequate first parter but I do wonder if Susan Wright has ever really been a fan and devotee of the show. I felt she was writing to some kind of trusted and dry formula. The characters could have had more life in them.
on 22 August 2001
This book start the adventure for the rest of the Gateways series books that will pass through all incarnations of Star Trek inculding the fictional ones (Challenger from the New Earth series and New Frontier by Peter David). Although the start is slowgoing it picks soon enough and sets the scene for future books.
on 9 January 2016
I want to start this review off by saying that I love the concept of the Gateways series. I think that the idea and the story about the gateways is amazing, and when I heard about it I felt that it was right up my alley. Because of that it didn't take me all that long to decide that I would read all of the Gateways books and not just the Voyager book.

So as some of you might have guessed this is the first book I've read about the crew from the original Star Trek series. I've recently seen it for the first time and therefore had a fresh memory of the episode, That Which Survives, that this book spins off from. I liked that episode and I loved the episode The City on the Edge of Forever which the technology with the gateways reminds me of. So I like the story in this book, and I also feel like the writer has captured the characters in a believable way. It's interesting to follow Kirk and his crew as they become acquainted with the people who claim to be the Kalandans, whom the gateways belong to, and try to solve the mysteries that come their way.

I'm looking forward to getting to see how it all ends in the last book and, of course, to read all the other stories about the gateways leading up to that last one where it all will (hopefully) be sorted out.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 December 2010
This book is probably the weakest in the gateway series by a long shot. It is quite drawn out in a few different sections of the book and I found it hard to keep myself interested, even scanning through some pages. It seemed that there was too many page fillers that really do draw out the story for too long.

While the other books as well as this one, leading up to the final one in the series all end in a cliffhanger, they at least tie into each other or are referenced. It seems that what little this book offered was forgotten in all the other books. It only gets about 15 pages in the final book to tie up the story.

All in all a disappointing start to one of the best star trek cross over book series.

If you want the full Gateway experience and don't want to miss out on anything then do read this one, if you don't mind missing a few details then feel free to skip it.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
HALL OF FAMEon 10 March 2003
These comments are for, "Star Trek Gateways Book One". This is the first in a seven part series and it was fun to go all the way back to the original crew. The ending left me mystified especially after I read what the other books will be offering.
This book ends as a cliffhanger which is reasonable to expect as it is part of a seven book cycle. What I am at a loss to understand is how the cycle is to be continued with books that do not even make mention of this book as the story arc moves along. I should have done some more homework before reading this book. By itself the book is average Trek based on a story that fans of the original series will be familiar with. Captain Kirk and his romances play a large role, so you know you are back in original Trek territory.
As someone who has just started reading many of these titles I have found it harder than it should be to enter a given series of books and have them be in an understandable context. This is especially true of the series that span a variety of crews and ships, some that exist only in book form. I would happily download a timeline of every book so I could know where best to start and proceed. For now there is just too much to try and place in order to make this enjoyable.