Not really liking cooking and not having much imagination where cooking is concerned, this is a book that I can see myself using...occasionally...during winter months: it's simple and apparently slow-cookers are cheap to run, using only as much electricity as a lightbulb, and a lot of the cuts of meat used are cheaper ones, as slow cooking will make them soft. Stick it all in a pot, make sure there's enough liquid, forget about it and off I go.

Some of the 'recipes' are pretty good, such as the Goulash, which sounds authentic and takes 4hrs. Shredded BBQ Beef - sounds like the stuff Adam Richman raves about on Man vs Food, which I've tried on a cookertop (many hours, much mess, much shrinkage and the sauce not quite right). Cobbler, which I've never tried, sounds good.

Some not so good: Sizzling Salsa (more like a dip), which uses browned sausage, and cooked salsa and pasteurised cheese - could easily be done on a cookertop in about 15 mins, and which I think has probably got a fat content through the roof! Cider - made from bought CIDER (yes, CIDER, not apple juice), cranberry juice, orange juice and apricot nectar, one peeled orange plus sugar - sounds like the stuff you have at Xmas, warmed through, so why does it need 6hrs cooking time?! Chicken Cacciatore - not at all authentic, used ready-prepared tomato sauce from a jar. Chocolate Goodness: choc chips, choc cake mix, choc pudding INSTANT mix - 6hrs in the pot?? Hmmm...

I don't think I'll be using it that often to invest in a slowcooker of my own, but I have loan of one, so will try out a few of the stew/meat ones during the winter time.
on 7 December 2011
As far as I am concerned a proper recipe book does not include recipes with "ingredients" such as 'chocolate cake mix'.
on 31 January 2014
Does what it says on the tin. With plenty of ideas and clear instruction the missus loves her slow cooker.
on 4 March 2016