- Paperback: 242 pages
- Publisher: New Society Publishers (1 Sept. 1999)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0865714010
- ISBN-13: 978-0865714014
- Product Dimensions: 13.7 x 1.5 x 21.6 cm
- Average Customer Review: 4.5 out of 5 stars See all reviews (4 customer reviews)
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 653,054 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
- See Complete Table of Contents
And the Skylark Sings with Me: Adventures in Homeschooling and Community-Based Education Paperback – 1 Sep 1999
|New from||Used from|
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
More About the Author
About the Author
David Albert is a storyteller, writer, and Senior Planner and Policy Analyst with the Washington State Division of Alcohol and Substance Abuse, and a contributor to Spinning Tales, Weaving Hope (New Society, 2002).
Inside This Book(Learn More)
Top Customer Reviews
David Albert and his partner, Ellen did this for their children. They were there not just to acknowledge and respect their children's autonomy in learning and provide knowledge resources, they also made the radical assumption that children should have access to the "best the world's cultures have to offer". Instead of the standard 'Do your piano practice/reading/times tables because we say so and you will thank us for it one day' they gave 'I'd like to give you a glimpse of this astounding world of music...literature... science... mathematics....Read more ›
David Albert shares his experiences with a gentle passion and honesty, born out of the knowledge that home education can be made into a far richer and more rewarding alternative to standard education for whole families and the whole community.
Everything this man writes makes sense and the adventure he and his family go through, is simply inspiring.
Reading it gave me inspiration, hope and filled me with excitment for our homeschooling future.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
But I've often been disappointed by books of authors I've heard speak. Not this time! The voice of this book -- friendly, insightful, occasionally self-deprecating, commonsensical, thoughtful, and downright helpful -- is the same voice I heard at the talk. I couldn't put it down, and read it in one sitting. I own many homeschooling books. Usually, I read them once and then they sit on my shelf. Not this one though. I'll go back to this one for ideas and inspiration, though if I start loaning it to friends, I might never get it back.
David also has a wonderful column in Home Education Magazine. If your group is planning a gathering any time soon, invite him as a speaker. You will come away changed, and your family (and homeschooling group) will come away with new ideas and new perspectives that will re-energize you and re-ignite your passion in the homeschooling adventure.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Education Studies & Teaching > School Education & Teaching > Home Schooling
- Books > Education Studies & Teaching > School Education & Teaching > Lesson planning > Teaching Aids & Educational Material
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Families & Parents > Raising Children
- Books > Science & Nature > Education
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Education Studies