on 14 September 2007
I wish this atlas had been available when I started out in astronomy. It's small enough to fit in one hand, yet - despite its size - the layout never feels cramped. The constellation lines are a huge advantage too; I can locate most deep-sky objects within a couple of minutes - much faster than I could with Sky Atlas 2000.

The atlas includes 80 main charts, plus 4 close-up charts covering the following regions of interest: the Pleiades, Orion's Sword, the Virgo Galaxy Cluster (essential!), and the Large Magellanic Cloud.
on 13 March 2010
This atlas is A5 sized and so fits into the pocket quite easily. It is spiral bound and so will stay open at the pages selected, when you place in on a flat surface. This is a great bonus as you can cross-refer from the book to the night sky / telescope / binoculars quickly and without having to find the page again. I covered the outside covers in clear sticky backed film to give extra protection against any dew.

Stars down to maginitude 7.6 are displayed on 80 main charts. The pages are in colour with significant objects easy to find. Arrows indicate the page number of the next page to check on the sky to the north/east/south/west which makes navigating across the sky simple. I am very pleased with this atlas and I am certain it will help improve my knowledge of the constellations. It is not as detailed as some of the more complex atlases but it is more than adequate for most casual users.
on 5 October 2010
I can't fault this star atlas. It's a convenient size; the maps are beautifully clear and have a generous overlap with adjacent areas of sky; the spiral binding means the atlas always lies flat and doesn't have to be held open. Double and variable stars are differentiated and star clusters, nebulae and galaxies are all mapped.
Since I got my copy I find I use it all the time and not just to find the objects shown on the maps. It is also hugely useful for locating the fainter planets Uranus and Neptune, and other faint solar system objects moving against the stellar background. I'm just a hobby astronomer using my telescope in the back garden but this is an immensely useful book and I wouldn't want to be without it. At the Amazon price it has to be an astronomical bargain.
on 17 September 2013
Sky & Telescope's Pocket Sky Atlas

I am only giving this 2 stars.

If I had the hardback it would be 5 stars.

Why o why do the kindle editions come out so poorly?

The star charts are hard to read and you cannot expand (at least not on my Samsung tablet) to read them.

So do not download the kindle edition until they make some changes to make it readable.
on 18 May 2013
The ability to navigate from one page or chart to another is absolutely essential and this kindle edition is, I'm sad to say, a big fail :-(

Combined with the fact that each chart is a non searchable poor quality image just adds to the frustration. When you enlarge a chart it actually becomes less legible and the jpeg artefacts show up making it difficult to work out if there is a line through a star indicating that it's a double.

The 'Look Inside' feature actually shows the poor graphics in fairness but I naturally assumed that when I handed over my cash a lovely clear representation of the printed version would be on view, but alas, no ... just so lodges and blurs.

This is how the navigation goes:
You find an object in the index, it gives you the Chart number, but without coordinates as to where on the chart to find it and not even a direct link to the chart. You are instead expected to battle with a meaningless 'location' at the bottom of the page in the Kindle info and guess which page that location is going to take you ... eh? What's all that about?

When is this actually going to reach the digital age? I am seriously not impressed. This kindle edition is a complete let down with regards to the effort put into the publication itself.

The Kindle edition is way over priced at £6 plus, and because of the lack of coordinate references I suspect I will be saving money on the printed version.

My advice: save your money!
on 2 February 2014
I've got big star atlases and sometimes they're quite difficult to handle while out in the freezing cold and darkness. I wanted something that's compact without having to compromise the details and number of objects. Sky & Telescope's Pocket Sky Atlas is surely the way to go.

Worth mentioning that this Atlas is made of thick glossy paper which helps - to some degree - fight dew.

Highly recommended.
on 19 February 2015
Excellent atlas that is clear and concise that has helped me around the night sky.I also use it a lot indoors when finding minor stars on astrophotos. Pocket sky atlas is a somewhat misleading title as it will not fit in any of my pockets without bending it and curling the corners. Apart from that it is a great aid
on 3 June 2016
I was frustrated at not seeing much of what's out there using various apps, so went for an atlas.

This is looking to be a great aid to DSO hunting. Lots of spiral-bound pages, each a bit bigger than A5, and packed with detail of a patch of sky, showing stars, constellations, and DSOs with handy colour-coding. Nebulae for example are well outlined, although I don't expect to see their full extents!

Not only that, but there is a comprehensive index, divided by type of object, then sub-divided by catalogue (M, C, IC, NGC, etc.).

Really looking forward to using this atlas, and I too would now recommend it to anyone who has not yet acquired one.
I can really only echo the other reviewers comments. This atlas is a gem of a find, nice handy size and very easy to use.
on 6 September 2011
I think this must really be the best star map i have ever owned and i would higly reccomend this book to anyone who not only uses a telescope but also for anyone who may like using binoculars or even just looking up at the night sky. It is equipted with around 80 star charts of every constellation known. It also has close up charts of well known objects in the night sky including the orion nebula. It is also very small and can fit into a backpack It has a great key showing thousands of objects that can be seen with any telescopeor binoculars of any size. The charts are of great quality with laminated pages and it also folds out as it is wire bound so it will easily fold. The chart shows objects such as large/small nebula clouds, small/large planetry nebula, small/large clusters and open clusters, stars and double stars, large/small galaxies and galaxy clusters, shows constellations and constellation lines(thousands of objects).

Pros:-
- shows thousands of objects.
- great quality charts.
- chart key repeated on regular intervals.
- easily folds out(wire bound).
- used with any sized telescope.
- charts are very accurate and there are many
of them.
- small can fit into a backpack, glove box.

cons:-
- dont know how the pages hold out to dew.
- Would be better if it maybe had a page or
2 on the location of planets.
- That is all.