Format: PaperbackChange

on 28 August 2012
Because I have the previous 42 annual publications, I have forked out for this year's effort. Yet again, Sky Sports have blinkers on and do not consider football exists below the professional game. For 40 years, originally Rothmans (far superior) and then Sky Sports published all of the significant non league tables down to at least Step 5, and this is an area that interests me as I have switched to watching my local team as it is far more enjoyable.

For the last 3 years the only tables contained within the book below Blue Square Conference are for the Evo-Stik North and South and Ryman Premier Leagues - not even the Step 4 first divisions of the three aforementioned leagues. I realise that there are publications specialising in non league football, but for the supporter who wants one book to cover the game of football on an annual basis, the book is not complete and no longer does the job.
22 comments7 of 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 August 2012
I buy the Yearbook just to keep the collection complete. It is a far cry from the original Rothmans. I hate the fact they have the player section apart from the team pages, so inconvenient, having to jump back and fourth between pages. Not purched this years yet, as I am looking for a better alternative.
on 21 August 2012
I bought this via Amazon and was happy with the price and speedy delivery but the book is not a patch on it's previous incarnation (Rothmans Football Yearbook). Can anybody please explain to me why back in 1970 the publishers could include great photography - over 20 glossy pages of dramatic, evocative and award-winning pictures - but now, forty years on, all we get is a bare few horrible grainy images which look like they were taken in the Great War and printed on virtual bog paper. The answer is of course cost reduction to maximise profit. Like everything else Sky Sports touches, this book is now just a commercial and over-hyped money making exercise - yet another sporting institution they have ruined along with free-to-air Test cricket and the great British Saturday afternoon of football. Sky have had their name on this book for nearly ten years but have not shown any imagination to prompt the Rollins (43 editions and counting) to develop or enhance it.

At over 1000 pages the book is as comprehensive as ever when it comes to facts and stats although inevitably some mistakes have slipped through the net (I spotted a couple within two minutes of turning to the section on my club, Chelsea). And is my eyesight getting worse or is the font smaller than it used to be? Some pages/tables are extremely difficult to read, especially pp.10-34.

There's a brief and vacuous brown-nosing foreword by Graeme Souness - not about the book or football but instead a homage to his paymaster, Sky Sports ("....there simply can't be a better influence on the game than Sky"...!). Elsewhere some of the choices in the editors' Team of the Year are strange to say the least (Coloccini?). The Scottish section cannot denote a league/division against any club because of the uncertainty caused by the Rangers crisis during the summer, although of course that is not the editors' fault.

I now regret not going into Waterstones to browse the rest of the ever-growing crop of pre-season footy yearbooks. I feel certain I could have found something better than this drab and tired-looking pile of old tosh.
55 comments12 of 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 December 2014
A football statisticians bible. I have a copy of all 43 editions of this book. This represents, and always has represented, the gold standard for football yearbooks in the UK. Received in excellent condition.
on 10 December 2012
I bought this book for the first time since 1989-1990, and I wasn't disappointed. It has all the facts and info I need to stay informed.
The only negative thing was that the players wans't listed next to the other facts from the team, but had their own section in the back. So if I want to know something about Norwich City, I have to look them up twice.
But totally worth the buy.
on 11 December 2013
You cant be a football fan without this fantastic, full of facts book.
Purchased every year and the price is the best...
on 16 April 2014
Once again this is another truly wonderful edition to a collection I have purchased since the first release in 1970.
on 23 June 2013
Just as good, if not better than any previous publications. It's always been a must for me wherever I am.
on 25 October 2015
Happy to choose, sad to lose, great to buy, reach for the sky! Comes highly recommended by its end user.
on 21 November 2015