Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
|Print List Price:||£12.99|
Save £1.16 (9%)
Sketching User Experiences: The Workbook Kindle Edition
|New from||Used from|
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
Unfortunately, I haven't found too many books that focus on the skills of sketching a user experience. I have read and worked through Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain and Visual Meetings but found the first was really focused on fine art sketching and the later is really focused on meetings and sharing general ideas with people. Sketching User Experiences is a good in between that focuses on the practical skills of sketching interfaces and experiences and communicating that to others.
The book starts with very basic sketching exercises and by the end gets into really fun and tangible advanced techniques. Some of the more advanced techniques I loved involve creating sketches from photos, creating hybrid sketches (photos + sketches) and building poster board prototypes of physical devices. Each exercise in the book is discrete and has a clear set of instructions, an explanation of how it fits into the user-centered design process and references to follow up with. Each exercise was structured enough that if you want to pick and choose things to do it's perfect for that.
All in all I would recommend this book for IA/UX/IxD professionals of all levels and anyone else who needs to communicate user experiences to others. I especially think this book would be useful for developers who are looking for a better way to express their ideas (or frustration) to clients, designers and other stakeholders because there is a big enough range of exercises that he should be able to find something that works.
The other place I would recommend this book would be for an advanced user interfaces undergrad/graduate level college course. There's enough work in here to make for a -really- fun semester's worth of work. I hope a professor picks this up and builds a course around it :)
Happy sketching :)
Before reading this book I thought sketching is for the "creative designers", but the techniques here (take pictures, trace) make it really simple.
I found that a lot of their suggestions for collecting images, ideas, etc could be done with Pinterest, but as I said before, this is a very hands-on book, and the authors seem to prefer physical collections over virtual ones.
Great ideas for creating templates to work from, using office supplies to make iterations, and more :)
As someone interested in becoming a UX designer I know this will be a valuable resource!
If you or your team would like to work on more modern user interfaces, this book will guide you through part of the process to do it. It's not really about the understanding phase of design, so it doesn't cover aspects such as user observation, but it covers the sketching phase quite well.
If you like it, you can move on to the conceptual book that inspired this one: Sketching User Experiences: Getting the Design Right and the Right Design by Bill Buxton. You might also be interested in Bill Buxton's videos, which are available on the usual video sites.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > Painting & Drawing > Techniques & Tools
- Books > Business, Finance & Law > E-Commerce > Managers' Guides to Computing
- Books > Computing & Internet > Digital Lifestyle
- Books > Computing & Internet > Programming > Graphics & Multimedia
- Books > Computing & Internet > Programming > Interface Design
- Books > Computing & Internet > Software & Graphics > Graphics & Multimedia > Image Manipulation & Creation
- Books > Computing & Internet > Web Development > Web Administration
- Books > Science & Nature > Engineering & Technology > Engineering Skills & Design > Industrial Design
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Arts & Photography > Art
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Arts & Photography > Graphic Design
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Computing > Graphic Design
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Computing > Web Graphics
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Professional & Technical > Technology & Engineering > Industrial Design