Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£6.69

on 5 January 2015
Haven't stopped playing the album, the tracks are just achingly beautiful. Once in a while an artist/group (not many in the past forty years) come along and the tracks strike at you heart. Blissful they are not, more like love lost, they tug at you! Brilliant, maybe my album of the decade.
on 5 March 2015
Not by any means my normal taste in music; I saw them on Joools and my curiosity was piqued by the antics of the singer as well as this blissfully sounding music. I ordered the CD the same night; again not something I would normally do, and it turns out to be one of my picks for "Album Of The Year".

Every song is at least great and those that aren't are brilliant. Highly recommended.
on 24 October 2014
Shades of Talking Heads, Talk Talk, early Depeche Mode, New Order, Yazoo and Avalon-era Roxy Music - but they have a sound all of their own and it sounds like now if that's not a complete contradiction? There is something lyrical and really affecting about his voice and delivery. This is a really special album I think. I don't love every track but I really really love almost every track. This album is a complete joy.
I agree with the chorus of praise for this album here. Like several others, I hadn't heard Future Islands before seeing them on the Jools Holland programme. I thought they were excellent and risked the album; I wasn't disappointed.

The music is great - it took me back to the early 80s with strong echoes of Vince Clarke, Steve Strange, New Order and any number of other bands in the arrangements in various places (I thought there were hints of The National, too). What really makes this special, though, is their excellently named frontman Samuel T. Herring. He manages to look like a slightly overweight nerd from the accounts department while also delivering fantastically emotional, powerful vocals and producing his own unique dance moves. It's a great combination and this is a first-rate album in my view.

My advice is to listen to a few samples. If you like them don't hesitate - this is an album of real quality from start to finish.
on 9 May 2014
Having been a follower of their music for a number of years and feeling as though they were not receiving the critical acclaim the band are deserving of, the performance on Letterman, and this new album has seen to that.

Think 80s synth music, with one of the most raw voices, full of emotion out there presently, and great writing, and you will hopefully find yourself a little intrigued. Then give them a listen and find a catalogue of catchy brilliant music that can become the soundtrack to many moments of your life.

Luckily, I have now seen the band live on the back of the 'Singles' tour and left the show feeling shell-shocked at how brilliant they were, how perfect their sound carried to a live performance and of course Samuel T. Herring's ability to enrapture an audience and have them in his theatrical grip.

Watch the ever captivating Letterman performance of 'Seasons' to get an idea.

Great album, well worth a purchase.
on 4 October 2014
Well, having seen them on Later with Jools, and listening to them online, I have to say this CD will have to become part of my collection. A passionate and somewhat different delivery from the front man (nice moves!), and great sounding tracks overall, it's a no brainer, to coin a phrase. They seem to be one of those bands that come along from time to time and offer something a little different, that just elevates them from the pack. Great stuff!
on 16 May 2014
Catch these lads on the Lettermen show on You Tube. They blew the roof off the show. Now on with the CD. It's good, very good. Lashings of mid-period Bowie synth sounds with a heart rending soul voice on top. Nothing quite like it which makes it new and refreshing. You will want to listen to it a lot.
on 13 December 2014
Wonderful album. I love how the husky voice melts with the electronic music; the lyrics are very personal and they make this record special. One of those records you'll find as a "cult album" in few years One of the best CD I lestened in 2014.
on 4 October 2014
To describe Future Islands in a nutshell I'd probably say they're an authentic band with great credentials and great heart.

Samuel T Herring, the tour-de-force lead singer, personifies Future Islands. His lyrics are poetic - often quite lovely - and his original, heartfelt expression is properly refreshing (sometimes even stunningly brave) in a world where music is so cut and paste and full of marketing fakery and paper-thin shallow individuals. Listening to Future Islands might even help restore your faith in popular music as an art form, I kid you not. You can tell they are in it for the music and not for those greasy, talentless money-grabbing marketing men and their vapid, cliched hangers-on. There's meaning in Future Islands' music.

The sound itself - you can listen for yourself, but it has a nice 80s synth flavour from a keyboard, bass and drums set-up. Herring's voice is fantastically nuanced and dynamic - strong and sensitive. The album is melodic and memorable and you won't tire of listening to it.

Their previous album is worth listening to: it's more raucous, more of a work in progress. But I'm very much looking forward to their next album; I just hope I won't have to wait too long!
on 1 December 2014
Where to start. This is just the best album I have heard in years and indeed the best group I have heard in years. Have a look on You Tube and watch Sam Herring, its pure theatre. I have not stopped playing their albums since I bought this one, as soon as I listened I bought the whole back catalogue. This is by far the best album but the others are good as well.