on 29 July 2006
As a speedway fan of some 30 years standing, I purchased this book having read the review in the Speedway Star. I found that I could not put it down once I had started to read it.

I would start off by saying that Simmo has relly put the cat among the pigeons with his forthright comments and observations on the personalities both past and present. He should know, after all, he was there at the time! I certainly will never view some of people named in this book in the same way again.

He has been brutally honest, above all about himself, and has not been afraid to highlight his many faults and weaknesses as well as his many strengths, which I personally find refreshing in this day and age.

I would wholeheartedly recommend this book to speedway fans past and present, to find out about the life and times of a true British speedway giant, a complex character. warts and all.
on 17 November 2015
Enjoyed the book but I couldn't help recalling the adage that we should beware of getting too close to our idols as we'll find out they have feet of clay. Contrary to my public perception of Simmo, I found him a thoroughly dislikeable individual through these pages of his own words. What came across was an utterly selfish, self-absorbed individual whose integrity was suspect, both as a speedway rider, husband and friend. Interesting though to read about his Kings Lynn days especially.
on 7 February 2016
Sometimes a book will kindle a forgotten set of emotions. I remember a time when speedway on World of Sport was one of the best watched sport on telly. Lee, Mauger, Crump, Olsen, Briggs and Penhall were the biggest names of the sport. Just below that was Simmons, Jessup, Boocock and Nielsen were just below. A great unknown account of a superstar in a different era. Not forgot
on 2 September 2015
The Kindle edition is excellent value for money and I thoroughly recommend it for speedway fans of any era. Well written by Tony McDonald, in a non-judgmental style, and he keeps the Simmo story fast paced and interesting. This book shows the many different sides to Simmo's personality and allows the reader to draw their own conclusions. A very enjoyable read.
on 15 June 2016
excellent incite to speedway from probably the best years of racing. Love him or hate he was one quality rider and any dealings i had with him which was quite a few especially in the latter years found him to be a top bloke. Great read
on 17 January 2016
I am a Coventry Bees fan but was always a big fan of Simmos,he was worth the admission money on his own,his book is one of the best I have read typical Simmo telling it like it is, I would recommend this book to any speedway fan.
on 21 June 2016
Honest and straightforward, typical of 'Simmo' though he has been a bit wayward at times !
A good in depth look at one of Englands greatest and stylish riders, and straight from 'the horses mouth'.
on 22 January 2016
A very interesting insight to an amazing sport. Most enjoyable to hear some 'behind the scenes' stories from a brilliant rider.
on 16 September 2015
An excellent read, it was nice to hear what actually happened warts and all.
The book is as good as the rider was.
on 15 October 2015
A really good read especially for speedway fans of the 70,s.Gave an insight into what went on behind the scenes.