Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£1.99

on 5 October 2011
The only complaint I have is that this book was too short,I would have loved it to be a full length book.I loved how honest the girl was about how much she hated her previous job and how determined she was to survive.Read it you won't regret it.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 19 October 2011
I do like the Ilona Andrews writing duo. The are really good at drawing the reader in and keeping them interested. This short novella is a step away from fantasy and a jump into a more sci-fi genre. Once again the main character is a strong independant female, who knows what she wants and how to get it. Then to top it all off they throw in a hunk, but paly out the emotions between the two much like watching ice cream melt. Starts slowly and then dissolves into liquidy yumminess. I would like to see the series in a longer version.
on 20 September 2011
From the moment I read the first page Ilona Andrews pulled me into a world which was fascinating to say the least. The prologue introduces you to the society structure and the different humans inhabiting the worlds of Uley and Rada. The first chapter leads me into a war torn Uley where I met Claire Shannon. By the end of the first chapter I followed Claire on a trip to a new planet as she was exiled.

The first chapter gives rapid information as I quickly tumbled from one moment in to the next. I got the notion of a war going on for too long in a bleak and dreary world and as I got in to that setting the war was ended with the flip of a page. I understood that the initial chapter was there to introduce Claire in her world yet I could've used a battle of some form to give me a sense they were defeated. However, from the moment Claire got deported I practically inhaled this story!

Claire Shannon is a skilled warrior, trained to use the bionet as a grade A psycher. She knows how to kill but not how to cook. She is focused, empathetic but also very lonely and the city of New Delphi engages many of her senses that weren't used to such a lascivious world. Sight, smells, emotions. Life is lived different in New Delphi but I loved to see the adaptability of Claire!

The first time Claire meets Venture Escana the air is electric with the zing of attraction. Even though the story focuses on Claire's journey the mannerisms of Venture signaled he wasn't ignoring Claire! He is the kind of intense character who breaths leadership. Potent virility combined with a commanding presence and a fierce intellect made this man instantly on the receiving end of my unwavering attention.

The romance might have a minor role in Silver Shark but the attraction between Venturo and Claire is all the more palpable. Together they have incredible verbal and nonverbal communication which warned me passion could explode of the pages at any time. There were secrets to uncovers, battle skills and prowess to match which made there beginning relationship very combustible.

Even though Silver Shark is a sci-fi romance it wasn't bogged down with unnecessary information but rather flowed with an imaginative writing that appealed to the imagination. It resulted in a swift pace where all the story elements were given in the right dose but it is the writing style of Ilona Adrews that gave all those elements more depth. Settings became more lush, emotions more intense, dialogues more lively. I was trying to read slow and absorb every nuance of the storytelling but somehow I still was going to fast!

Sample of the imaginative writing style

Directly in front of them the ground dropped down. Far, far below silvery waters of an ocean lay placid, tinted light pink and the yellow to the left, where a golden globe of the sun set, cushioned in soft clouds. Above the clouds, the cosmos spread, vast and glorious, with bright stars melting into the glow of nebulas and distant galaxies.
To the right, past the gulf of the ocean, another cliff rose, naked rock wall topped by a lush jungle. Twin rivers spilled from the cliff, wrapped in feathery mist. Between them the massive tree waited. The purple lanterns glowed, beckoning her.

In the span of 96 pdf pages I was given vivacious major and minor characters. The secrecy plot created personal havoc where I got two of the best scenes in this story. One scene was rife with grace, fortitude and strength in combat and the other scene was one of smoldering passion erupting in a fierce need. Both scenes were so vivid, so intense and brimming with the spirit of both main characters I could only want more. This is why the ending felt abrupt. I was so in to Claire and Venturo to a point I was ready to go with them wherever they needed to go. The bluntness of the ending however was lessened by the epilogue and I felt very satisfied. It wasn't picture perfect but that would not have been believable in the time span of the story, so the author does get kudos from me for doing that!

Ilona Andrews could write many more novella's or even novels set in the Kinsmen universe. The ground work is all there setting up a vastly interesting world with fascinating characters! All that is left to say is: The worlds Ilona Adrews writes are the ones I love walking in to and explore!
on 11 July 2015
There is only one problem with this story- it's not long enough! I wanted to know what happened next, what did they do to DDS exactly, and what did they do after that? I hope there is more of the kinsman series to come.
on 17 September 2011
This is the second novella in the kinsmen world created by ilona Andrews. The first Silent Blade described the coming together of Celino and Meli. There is no need to have read that first but it's a lovely tale so I recommend you to read it anyway. Meli and Celino do make an appearance in Silver Shark.

Claire is a rufugee form another planet which has been at war for 300 years. She was a captain in the losing faction's army and is a fantastically skilled psycher, which means she is able to read others minds and kill using her mental prowess. She, like other psychers is also able to inhabit the bionet, which is a sort of alternative world using to store sensitive information. Claire is forced to hide her psycher ability first to avoid being killed when her side loses the war and second to enable her to be accepted as a rufugee to Rada, the exotic colourful and still sometimes brutal world encountered in Silent Blade.

Ironically she is believed to be a psychic dud and sent to work at Guardian, a bionet company owned by the Escada kinsmen family, headed by Ventura Escada. She quickly becomes invaluable to Escada but Ven, whilst clearly attracted has no inkling that Claire is an asset ora threat to his business, beyond measure.

Thus is essentially a love story but set in a scifi world. There are great visualisations and interesting other worldly concepts but it's a very easy read and in typical Ilona style, which sucks you in, has you rooting for the main character and rushing to read the whole novella in one sitting.

I loved it but recognise that as a fan of this style of writing I am perhaps a little biased. If you are a hardened scifi fan this isn't probably your thing but if you like fantasy mixed with romance you should enjoy.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 20 October 2013
Although the second book in a series, "Silver Shark" reads very much like a standalone novella. The only connection between this and book 1 "Silent Blade" is the idea of Kinsmen plus the leading lovers from book 1 make a very brief appearance.

Claire Sutton is good at what she does; leading an elite group of warriors into a biological computer system known as the Bionet. As a powerful psycher, she has the ability to connect directly to the Bionet, and spends her time killing enemy psychers. When her planet's war ends, Claire is obsolete. She is shipped off to the planet Rada as a refugee, and having built powerful and clever mental shields, no one has any idea she has any psychic ability, let alone how powerful she actually is.

When Claire is hired as an administrator for Venturo Escana, he employs her for several reasons; he feels slightly sorry for this refugee plus her mind is cool, calm and shows no hint of any psychic ability. Claire in turn is shocked by her immediate reaction to Venturo, but her attraction to him becomes another secret she hides beneath her mental barriers. Yet when other refugees are threatened, Claire has no choice but to dismantle her shields, plug herself into the Bionet and falsify data. Everything goes to plan until she encounters another psycher who views her as an enemy; Venturo Escana.

Claire doesn't really have the opportunity to shine as there are only a few brief scenes in which the reader learns what she is capable of in the Bionet. I wish there had been more action, but the little there is, is certainly explosive. There isn't really much steam to the romance, as Escana seems pretty uninterested in Claire until he unknowingly meets her in the Bionet, but the skills these Kinsmen wield continue to entertain. There's plenty of scope for this series, and I look forward to future instalments.
on 13 October 2011
What I love about Ilona is that her stories are so refreshing and rich with detail. Silver Shark is no exception.

Set in a science-fiction futuristic world, Silver Shark is about a female 'Psycher', powerful and intelligent. After she is deported off her long-time warring home planet, she must survive on a world where psychers such as her would normally be killed on the spot. Without giving away the plot, this may sound kind of boring but the premise of thisstory is excellent in it's originality. I couldn't put the story down - I just got totally lost in the rich, fast-pace detail of Ilona's world, which for me is the sign of a great story - when you find yourself drinking in the new, unknown, rich details of an original world it's such a brilliant example of escapism from the usual humdrum. I found myself hugely dissapointed that I couldn't just buy the next in the series, but I guess I'll just have to be patient and wait for no.2. Can't wait for more of Ilona's work!
Great read, an absolute must for a fan of Ilona and Gordon Andrews! I gobbled it up in couple of hours and want more. Had to buy the first book in series Silent Blade (I didn't know that this was book #2) to quench my thirst.
Beautiful world-building, wonderful characters, took me right back to the film Hackers crossed with Star Wars (especially the description in the beginning. I kept hearing music from Star Wars in my head ;)
If you a fan of a duo Ilona Andrews you don't need me to recommend this book. And if you don't know them yet, try their fabulous style of writing with this short story.
I love them to bits!
on 1 March 2013
This is set in the same universe and we get to meet the lead couple from Silent Blade in a minor role again.This had everything satisfying story, excellent world building no feeling of being shortchanged as to the motivations and understanding of how and why the characters did what they did. Oh and hero /heroine mega hot. Awesome
on 20 November 2011
Am a great fan of Ilona Andrew's Kate Daniel and The Edge series. Can't wait for the next book in the Edge stories, however being entertained in the meantime with these new stories. Like a previous reviewer mentioned, this was a short story and could have done with delving more into this new world. I hope IA will churn out more of these stories - in full length!