Size: Double (135 x 190 cm)|Change
Price:£729.79+ Free shipping

Size: Double (135 x 190 cm)|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Yikes 1st review posted, so im bound to get negged to death, anyway here goes.

The mattress was delivered by ArrowXL who is part of Yodel, however they are trying to distance themselves and i have to say i was pretty impressed with their service.
I received a text message to say what day it was being delivered, then i received another one the day before giving me a 2 hour window, and then on the morning of the delivery i was called by the drivers mate who said they were 10 minutes away.

They unloaded it and placed it in the room of my choice, they were also very friendly and polite, the delivery guys get 5 stars.

The mattress then...

The smell, oh my god, its horrific, i opened the plastic and was heaving, it was putrid.
Very strong chemical smell, almost bleach like in its strength, i had to put it outside for the 1st day as it was so vile, luckily it was a sunny day, and then it came in to air in a room with the windows open and it still took 3 days for the smell to dissipate, please make allowances for this because there is no way you will be able to sleep on this the same day it gets delivered, you would gas yourself.

This mattress is the 1350 which is firm, now they say firm i say medium/firm because firm to me is rock hard, of which this is not. I can push my hand down on it and i can feel it go to the middle of the mattress, this to me is not remotely firm so thats a negative, but bear in mind that i have been sleeping on a silentnight orthopaedic mattress for the last 15 years and that was rock hard when i bought it and is still rock hard now, so my expectation was pretty high.

I received the King Size which measures 150cm x 200cm - approx. 5'0" x 6'7".

The mattress is very smart and a lovely mink shade, and the pure white geltex layer on the top has a very unusual feel to it, i cant quite describe it, like a foamy feeling, but not memory foam.

Lying down...

This mattress is comfy, however if you have been sleeping on a normal mattress like i have this will take some getting used too. This actually contours to your body shape, not moulds so you dont stick to the mattress, this adapts so when you roll over, it goes with you and unlike memory foam the minute you get off the mattress you cannot see where you have slept as it springs back into shape immediately. I was quite impressed with that but then i am not sure how long in theory that will last.

According to the silentnight website:

""The mattress offers a unique combination of unparalleled breathability to prevent the body from overheating, perfect pressure relief preventing pressure points from building and optimal body support providing perfect spinal alignment and support throughout the night. The Geltex comfort layer is an innovative combination of an extremely elastic gel and air-permeable foam offering a unique combination of unparalleled breathability to prevent the body from overheating, perfect pressure relief preventing pressure points from building and optimal body support providing perfect spinal alignment and support throughout the night. The Geltex Affinity 1350 offers the ultimate sleep solution.""

To an extent i will agree, this has a comfort rating of 8/10, i did sleep quite well, i am however getting rather bad back ache at the moment but i am hoping that will go away as i get used to it.

Another point to be aware of is i regularly steam cleaned my old mattress, at least 3 times a year, considering the technology in this i would doubt very much that you could clean it, that to me is a huge negative. They actually advise to never use any kind of cleaning products on the mattress at all as you can damage it.

The cost is astronomical, yep i said it, i am registered disabled and could never of afforded to buy this in my lifetime, and so i feel very blessed and lucky i got this for free, however you truly do get what you pay for. I personally feel that the cost is justified and i will tell you why.

The king size version of this is currently selling for 8 hundred squid, so if you assume it lasts no longer than 5 years , this works out to be the equivalent of 44 pence a day. Not a bad way of looking at the cost of something that you are going to sleep on every day for at least 6-10 hours, you spend more on a paper or a bar of chocolate.

Now the Geltex bit, this is only on 1 side of the mattress so you need to realise this is in fact a no turn mattress, however you are advised to rotate it every month, i however am planning on doing it every week as i change the bedding.

Another point to note, this is really really heavy, it weighs 50kg, as a disabled person, this is quite ridiculous and i could never manage to move it on my own, however to help you rotate it, silentnight have very kindly put 2 hand grips on the side of each mattress, hooray and thank you as this made it much easier for me to turn around.

Also mattress protectors, you are going to need one, don't buy this and think you wont need one because you will, an extra 20 squid paid could lengthen the use of this mattress quite considerably, i recommend this one The Bettersleep Company Brand Waterproof Quilted Microfibre Mattress Protectors King Size Bed- Hotel Quality Anti Dustmite, Waterproof, Absorbent, Breathable & Fully Fitted.

Bed bases.

This mattress is top of the range and as such i believe it needs a top of the range base to go with it. I ummed and ahhed about this but in the end chose a pillowtop divan base, and i will tell you why.

Its flat, therefore it will give the absolute best support to your mattress.

Whilst wooden and metal beds are quite pretty to look at they do shorten the length time of the mattress because they have slats, therefore the mattress is not fully supported equally along the base. Wooden slats can also break and splinter, which in turn could damage your mattress. Same goes for metal slats, that in time can bend and break.
If you look at this logically, you could be putting say 20 stone of weight on top of something that will push through the gaps in the slats, causing the bed to push out of alignment. I chose a silentnight pillowtop divan base with 4 drawer storage but again this is down to personal taste, if you are going to put it on a wooden or metal bed, i would highly recommend getting a piece of mdf cut and place that on top of the slats 1st.

The guarantee...

The mattress has a 5 year guarantee, now my old one had a 10 year guarantee so this to me shows that silentnight doesnt have as much faith in this technology as some of their other past products. I have pulled this info off the silentnight website for you.

Official Info :
We're so confident that our beds and mattresses will provide you with a great night's sleep that we offer the security of the very best in terms of product guarantee.
Consequently, if you have purchased a mattress or divan set (a matching base and mattress), in the unlikely event that a problem should arise due to either faulty material or poor workmanship, during the first year from the date of purchase we promise to repair or replace (at our discretion) any part, or all of the product that is defective, completely free of charge. During the second year, replacements will be free of charge but will attract a contribution to the transport costs. In subsequent years, a sliding scale of charges based on usage plus transport costs comes into effect as follows:
2 to 3 years - 40% of current retail price

3 to 4 years - 60% of current retail price

4 to 5 years - 80% of current retail price
Any claim made under this guarantee must be made through the retailer from whom the bed was purchased. Please ensure you retain your receipt as proof of purchase. Any claim must be made no later than 5 years from the date of purchase. This guarantee applies to goods purchased from an authorised retailer of Silentnight products within the UK and Northern Ireland and, in all instances, applies to product only where it has been used and maintained in accordance with the manufacturer's guidelines and instructions. Please ensure that you read and comply with the Warranty Conditions (page 1) and Care Instructions (pages 3 and 4). This guarantee does not affect your statutory rights.
This guarantee applies to goods purchased from an authorised retailer of Silentnight products within the UK and Northern Ireland and, in all instances, applies to product only where it has been used and maintained in accordance with the manufacturer's guidelines and instructions. Please ensure that you read and comply with the Warranty Conditions and Care Instructions found in the Care Leaflet that was supplied with your mattress. This Guarantee does not affect your statutory rights.

.............................................................................................................................

So thats the boring stuff out of the way.

Would i recommend it ??

Absolutely yes.

Is it a 5/5 star product ?

No, but then opinions are subjective to a users personal taste, there are things i would change hence my 4 star rating.

My grandmother before she passed away gave me one piece of advice, "there are only 2 things in life you need to spend lots and lots of money on, an excellent pair of shoes and an excellent bed, because if you are not in one, you are in the other".

Wise words indeed.
*************************
Update 02.04.2016

I thought i would come back and edit my review .

I have been sleeping on this now for 2 years. The mattress still looks brand new, there is not a single mark on it, mind you i do have 2 mattress protectors on it :@)

I also thought i would tell you that there are no dents in it, no lumps or bumps, no permanent indentations you get with normal mattresses, i am disabled and heavy at 120kg but i have followed the instructions given on the info leaflet and turned the mattress every month without fail and it looks like its never been slept on.

Brilliant, i convinced my mother to buy one, she was reluctant because of the cost, but she said its the best mattress she has ever had. If you knew my mother and how picky she is that is high praise indeed.

Honestly buy one now.
88 comments| 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Delivery was straightforward, a phone call to say the day and approximate time and then a phone call half an hour before delivery. This, the king-size, is a big mattress and was well wrapped with protective foam and two layers of plastic, it takes two people to unwrap and move; although there are handles on the sides there are none on the end so it can be awkward. We had our old mattress collected by the council who charged a small fee.
Although there was a slight odour from the mattress it wasn’t strong and we used it that night without problem. Although the mattress is firm the geltex layer gives it softness, really comfortable and cushioning to lie on, you get the firmness without the hardness. It also damps movements so your movements aren’t transferred to your partner.
My wife has shoulder and neck pain, for which she is seeing an osteopath, and she had the first good night’s sleep in months and now says that the pain has virtually gone. She loves this mattress!
This is a thick mattress, 28.5cm, we have it on an iron-frame bedstead and the top of the mattress is 70cm from the floor, makes climbing in to bed actually true!
Overall an excellent mattress that lives up to the promise of giving a good night’s sleep.
on 3 June 2015
Absolutely amazing mattress,
Worth every penny,
We had a good quality matress before hand that was probably over 15 years old and had moved property aprox 8 times so was definitely ready to be changed.
We also had a memory foam topper on this mattress wich was forever moving.
I used to also find that I would over heat with the memory foam.
Well we went shopping in the usual places looking to see what was on the market and was steering towards a memory foam topped mattress.
In the stores the silent night range was well out of range.
When I got home I started looking at all the reviews on line and that led me to start looking at the silent night range and to my surprise on Amazon they were in my budget.
So opted for the geltex as its at the top of the range and I can honestly say it's a truley amazing mattress firm yet soft no over heating fantastic product.
Delivery was also brilliant day of delivery given time slot given then a call from drivers mate to say they where ten mins away.
Can't recommend this product and Amazon enough.
on 21 November 2015
Simply put, its great, I used to have a king size with a foam topper, the problem with a foam topper was that the edge of the bed couldn't be used because it would give too much so you find yourselves with reduced space. The combination of upgrading to a super king mattress and the gel topper means all of a sudden the space is available that we wanted, its great. I love it and my partner loves it too.

We have it on a slatted base, but have put MDF boards down on the slatted base to make it a solid base, this preserves the mattress life and provides a uniform distribution of the weight.....

A super King size mattress like this does not bend, so make sure you have room to get it to the bedroom. Delivery men were great, I don't have a great back and they managed to get it upstairs for me (just) the clearance at the bottom of the stairs and the top of the ceiling where the stairs start made it a challenge, but I take my hat off to them, they manoeuvred it and achieved the goal without damaging it - thank goodness as there is no way I could have :-)

The other half said I was mad for ordering a superking and the dismantling of a built in bedside table to make way for it was silly....oh the humble pie taste so good - she loves it....
on 22 December 2015
I bought the Silentnight Geltex Indulgence 1350 Mattress (King size) when on lightning deal sale around 4 months ago.

Delivery was OK but a week later than the date promised by Amazon, as the original order had been "lost in transit by courier" though Amazon customer services were very helpful and organised an immediate replacement to be dispatched.

On delivery the mattress was well packaged and also very heavy so definitely requires at least two people to move up flights of stairs. Once the packaging is removed there is a very strong plastic smell, though this disappeared after a few days and isn't a problem any more.

I would describe the mattress as firm (I weigh about 70kg and the wife is 60kg) and after 4 months of use would say it's a good comfortable mattress and we both do get a good nights sleep. I haven't noticed any issues with sagging or indentation so far, so all good so far.

I will also mention on first use we found the mattress very warm (perhaps this is the Geltex material dissipating our body heat?) but after a couple of weeks we got used to this and don't really notice it any more.

Overall this is a good mattress and good value for money if purchased when on sale.
on 27 December 2015
I sleep like baby
Never again sweat in bed
It comfortable to sleep,if someone like soft it is take him few days to like that bed
It is smell for two days but nothing bad it is brand new that way
on 6 January 2016
I am delighted with this single 1350 matress, I bought it on a pre Xmas lightning deal for a little over £210, considering the RRP and current price it seemed like a bargain although I was a little apprehensive reading some of the reviews. I needent have worried, the product is of the highest quality, I cannot fault it whatsoever. I am 6ft 2" and around 92 kilos and it supports my body weight perfectly, I find it firm but not overly hard with a nice soft outer surface that moulds perfectly to the body.

I have not had one sleepless night since receiving it and always wake up feeling rested and without any aches and pains. It replaced a virtually new matress which I received with the bed but was awful, I cannot believe the difference in quality. For the price paid this was a true bargain and if it comes up in the lightning deal again I wont hesitate to buy a king size for the master bedroom.
on 15 May 2014
Not much hope of a 'silent' night with our neighbours and a certain snoring person, but I find this Silentnight Geltex mattress incredibly comfortable, and I am very hard to please. I don't like my mattress to be too hard, nor too soft, but it needs equal levels of flexibility and support. However, my husband likes a very soft mattress, the softer the better, and reported that although this isn't the least comfortable mattress he has slept on, he does wake up with a dead arm, a dead leg, or a stiff back. I'm hoping he gets used to it though because after sinking into his mega soft mattress for many years, I am delighted to be able to wake up feeling like I have had a very good nights sleep!! If he doesn't get used to it, I fear the inevitable question "it's either me, or the mattress"!!!!
on 15 September 2015
Quality product. Fantastically comfortable. I would recommend opening the plastic packaging and letting the mattress breathe (there is a strong plastic smell for the the first week or so) there after, best nights sleep in years!
on 23 January 2016
Very comfortable - have been using for over three months now and have never had a bad nights sleep due to this mattress. I would definitely recommend!