Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Up to 70% off Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Shop Amazon Fire TV Shop now Shop Fire HD 6 Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > Supreme Commander 2 (PC DVD) forum

Short review here since I can't post a proper one yet

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 4 Mar 2010 00:28:15 GMT
A. Kertesz says:
I'm playing Sup come 2 now and so far its looks great and i'm likeing it alot. The only downside is the missions are VERY short compared to the original. Played 3 so far and they took 10,40 and 40 mins. Which is still less than the first mission in sup com 1. But it looks like there are a lot more of them this time. Chris Taylor does it again Why wait a year to play starcrap when you can play a VASTLY better NOW.

Posted on 4 Mar 2010 12:30:57 GMT
Random Task says:
Oh you liked it?

I thought it was dumbed down dross that was in every way that matters inferior to SC1. SC2 just looks prettier. But otherwise its clearly a game made for 13 year old console players. I really see this game offers nothing for older PC strategy veterans.

Playing SC2 just made me uninstall it and go back to a proper strategy game like SC1.

Posted on 4 Mar 2010 13:55:13 GMT
D_Stinger says:
How about this for a slightly longer review then:

Sadly this is yet another game where the description of streamlined actually means that a large number of the features that made the predecessor unique have been removed

The first and fairly jarring difference between this and Forged Alliance is that the technology tiers have essentially been done away with, you start on what was formerly tier 3, however only half of this is accessible in the beginning, there rest has to be researched as you go.

The next is that the experimentals are so plentiful, easy to build and easy to destroy that they could simply be referred to as tier 2 since they have lost all sense of there awesome power. In the previous game the experimentals made up only a small proportion of the total number of units and buildings you had at your disposal, while now experimentals make up somewhere a third to 2 fifths of your total build options. Additionally in the previous game they were the 4th tier units, which meant it took a while to get to the point you could build them and even then they took a time to build which is why when your perseverance was rewarded by there massive base wrecking, army smiting destructive power you had a great sense of triumph, but that feeling of accomplishment is gone in Sup Com 2 since you can roll off an experimental around 5 minutes into the game and then watch it get destroyed about 20 seconds later (including time taken to get to the fight).

They have also moved away from the previous economy system in that you pay upfront for everything rather than you pay as you build meaning that essentially power and mass are simply 2 forms of currency which you accumulate indefinitely and then use to buy units buildings and add-ons for your buildings, this also has the knock on effect of severely hampering your use of queuing units and buildings as you would have done in the original i.e. I could have say have 4 land factories and queue a selection of 20 units in each there by giving me an army of 80 units which I pay for as they are built, but in the new system to do the same I would have to pay for all 80 units in 1 go when I place them in the queue

Another major change is that instead of customizing your commander to suit your style of play or to deal with specific situations as you did in the previous game he gets an entire branch of research to himself. That being the case they are applied instantly and all of the upgrades listed can be used simultaneously meaning that the overall effect is underwhelming, the saying "jack of all trades master of none" fits quite well

That said the game does play quite well and I did get some enjoyment out of it. Additionally as far as I can tell they have lived up to there promise of making the game less hardware demanding so you do not need an uber rig to enjoy a decent frame rate when the action picks up.

Its not as bad as it was when comparing Dawn of War to Dawn of War 2 but it still feels like I am only getting half of the original game, it is a case of less IS less. Most of the people who liked Forged Alliance will like myself find this installment to be quite disappointing, however I for those that did not you might find this more appealing.

Heh and yes Random Task SC1-FA, that and a round of TA now and then because classics are golden...

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Mar 2010 16:29:04 GMT
Prettier? Hell I thought it was ugly as sin! They seem to have turned all of the UEF into blocky ultrasmurfs(ultramarines) with about as much character!

Posted on 5 Mar 2010 00:36:09 GMT
A. Kertesz says:
After playing it some more I have to agree with dstingers review. I do still like this game and its still better than most rts i've played but its more sup com lite than sup com 2 and yes its looks MUCH nicer then sup com 1.

Posted on 5 Mar 2010 20:06:11 GMT
I thought I'd hop on to Amazon and see if it was just me who thought SupCom2 was half the game the original was and it seems I'm not the only one.
D_Stinger is right.
What a disappointment.

Posted on 5 Mar 2010 22:34:39 GMT
I'll save judgement for now but at the moment, I'm pretty disappointed too. What's with all these mini-missions? Perhaps they had a load of complaints on SC1 that missions were too long and now they're thinking 'geez, we just can't win!'
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  6
Total posts:  7
Initial post:  4 Mar 2010
Latest post:  5 Mar 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Supreme Commander 2 (PC DVD)
Supreme Commander 2 (PC DVD) by Square Enix (Windows XP)
2.9 out of 5 stars (88)