on 26 November 2012
This little toolkit is just what I needed. I have a couple of stories on the go and several others at the structure stage. I needed some professional advice to keep me on the right track so that my output is high quality, varied and interesting. And my goal is to get ONE story published as a way to keep up my morale. I feel more able to achieve that first goal after studying Della's slim book.

Della offers no-nonsense tips and advice, provides plenty of examples to back up what she is saying, and encourages us to keep on writing and keep on submitting our work. She also takes a systematic and consistent approach to the art of writing and editing a short story. I shall adopt her technique and keep plugging away, and i know I will refer back regularly to the advice and ideas in this little volume. Worth its weight in gold.
on 26 March 2014
I review short story collections and writing guides (so this is two in one) for my blog (Morgen Bailey's Writing Blog) and because I'm a freelance editor, tutor and writer, I'm a tough crowd but I couldn't fault this book and am not surprised that the other reviews are so favourable. If you want to write short stories (and seriously, who wouldn't?), this is the book for you.
on 29 December 2012
I'm giving Della's book five stars because it meets all the requirements of a 'How To' book for writers ken to get published. It's straight and to the point - no waffle, and answers all the questions a new - and maybe not so new - writer may ask.
on 2 January 2013
If I could give more than 5 stars I would. I'm an aspiring author and have bought many books, magazines, and guides looking for sound advice on writing, sadly many fall short.

The difference with this book is Della gives you a recipe to follow and if you have all the ingredients for a good story, you are more likely to succeed.

I like the concise way that it's written, akin to being guided by a good friend and it doesn't promise you overnight success!

Della is very open and says that even she doesn't sell everything that she writes. That statement in itself gives the confidence to have a go, or keep going.

Summing up - if you get this book on a free promotion great but if you do have to pay for it, it's worth every penny!
on 15 April 2014
Whether you are just beginning to write or even if you are bogged down with rejections this book is a gem for all who are longing to be a successful short story writer. Della gives exact advice with no frills in an easy to understand ‘language.’ A very professional book that once you have read and used you won’t be able to be without. Della is also an agony aunt for a writing magazine and has found that using examples and discussions a great way of getting important points over to you so that they are easy to grasp. This is a great book that will help you to learn the craft of short story writing – something that is not as easy as many people think.
on 12 February 2014
An easy to read short book packed with advice for would-be writers of short stories. The pitfalls are described and practical guidance is given to budding writers. It doesn't tell you everything you need to know, but makes a reassuring read for anyone who`s on the right track anyway. In other words, if you are a complete novice, you would need to attend a course or read more extensively.
on 16 January 2013
I read Della Galton's 'How to write and sell short stories' after I read this book. In this book, once you have read it, you should use it as a reference book and dip in or out as required, even if you don’t read the whole book, you can take what is relevant to you and with Della's help one day I will sell something to a woman’s magazine or at least enter a competition.
on 10 December 2013
A must-read for any writer starting out. Great tips on how to write excellent short stories with rounded characters, good plots and believable themes.
on 25 November 2012
I've written for years and still wait to be published. This guide offers a great deal of useful advice to old hands and beginners.
It's nice to know that even the experts can make a mistake! Half way through there's a reference to 'next week's article' which hasn't been removed from the compiled version. At least that proves I've read it!
on 16 March 2014
This book is a great quick read for anyone hoping to start writing for the short story market. Everything is laid out in an easy to understand manner and their are several writing exercises to sink your pen into. Even if you know this stuff already, it still makes for a pleasant refresher.