on 7 May 2014
Upon reading the announcement for "Shine on"'s release, I wished this record to be a lot more adventurous and promising than its saccharine cover and bland title. Following the moderate success of 2003's rather overlooked "Afterglow" and, even more so, the mediocre sales of 2010's "Laws of illusion", as a long-time fan, I longed for an album that would put things in the right place. I am quite regretful for saying this, but "Shine on" is an album of a talented artist taking no risk, simply re-affirming her ability to write beautiful songs. That is no bad thing, but for those who have witnessed the outstanding quality of Sarah McLachlan's past records, good is simply not "Good enough". "Flesh and blood", "Monsters", "Song for my father", and "Love beside me" are bright reminders of her great talent, the artistic and commercial peak of which is the sublime 1994 "Fumbling towards ecstasy" album. It is records with such gut-wrenching songs that defined an era, propelled her into international success, and established her status as one of the greatest singers-songwriters of her generation. That, of course, remains undisputed, just like her voice that sounds as captivating as ever. However, 25 years into her career, Sarah McLachlan should be willing to make substantive changes to her sound, evolve as an artist, rather than embracing once again over-familiar material with no punch or edge. I love her dearly, so I am waiting for the sunshine, to me this is just some rays of light.
review image
on 10 July 2015
Im a big fan of sarah mclaclan, but this album just felt complacent and unimaginative...nondescript even :( hope for the next album that she stretches herself a bit more and creates a more contemporary sound that has depth and a little more edge.
on 26 August 2014
O love Sarah McLaclan's albums and have them all. Shine On sustains her craft as a gentle observer of love and life yet this album brings some more up tempo tracks which really suit her. Maybe she should some more like them.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 June 2015
It's OK. Not her best, nor her worst, and small price to pay for good music.
on 7 June 2014
I love Sarah McLachlan's voice and her songs. They have a haunting quality and this is a CD that stays on over and over. She doesn't seem to get much coverage in the media as far as I can see and she is definitely worth listening to.
on 13 February 2015
Bought it for my daughter, she loves it.
on 26 May 2014
I've been a big fan of Sarah McLachlan for, it seems, forever, so to get a new CD full to the brim with brand new songs makes it feel like it's my birthday. Again.

Wonderful, and a little more upbeat in places to some of her other material. We've not got the somewhat sombre but hauntingly beautiful "Angel" (my all time favourite - that might be because of "City of Angels") or "Fallen", both of which are well at the top of my all time played tracks, but all this new stuff makes the price worthwhile. This current truckload of tracks are very easy to listen to, and if you've not been exposed to Sarah before, then you'd not go far wrong to start here.

There's a new (to me, it seems) voice use in, for example, "Flesh And Blood", the second track which starts off somewhat rock and upbeat but then goes off at a tangent all of its own with Sarah's unmistakeable voice doing the high leaps and low dives.

The rest is really good, but, up until now, my favourites are "Surrender And Uncertainty" and a close second, Song For My Father" which ties with "Flesh And Blood".

As with all her material, there's a crisp, uncomplicated piano ever-present, and throw in the great lyrics you always get from this star, this is well worth buying.

(I almost bought this on iTunes, but Amazon's CD was cheaper by far.)
on 29 March 2015
Excellent album, but slow delivery.
on 13 May 2014
I have long been a fan of Sarah McLachlan and her music. Whilst the last album Laws Of Illusion was inconsistent Shine On is spectacular and sees Sarah back at the top of her game.Broken Heart, Brink of Destruction, Beautiful Girl, and Song For My Father are just gorgeously sung and arranged. The more uptempo songs like In Your Shoes, Flesh And Blood and Love Beside Me have a harder edge but are still melodic well sung and well produced.
This is Sarah's best work since Surfacing and her first release on the Vervre record label. Lets hope after she finnishes her current American and Canadian tour she comes over to Europe. Its been 10 long years since the Afterglow tour.
Brilliant!
on 8 July 2014
received promptly on release - lived up to my expectations - some really great numbers - I love 'Song for my Father'. most.