Size: 9/16-inch|Colour: Black|Change

on 21 May 2011
These were my first clipless pedals and I've been using these on my commuter roadbike for the last 1500 miles or so. No issues whatsoever. I was nervous at first about going clipless but I have to say these pedals make it easy. They come with the tension set at the halfway point so I immediately loosened the spring to the weakest setting and have never felt the need to change it. I have never unclipped when I didn't want to but have always been able to unclip the instant I need to. None of this falling over business that everyone warns you about! These are efficient, reliable and excellent value pedals. Buy 'em, I say.
66 comments|56 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 August 2009
These pedals are excellent for commuting whilst retaining the characteristics of great clipless pedals. it's double sided with adjustable cleat tension. have had then for a year and no need to service yet. works great on a road/mountain bike
on 5 July 2012
I've been humming and harring over getting spd pedals for a while as I've heard scare stories of people falling off their bikes whilst using them and also I just didn't know how I would get on with them. I've had toe clips for ages and have always thought they were ok.
Recently I finally took the plunge and bought these Shimano M520 SPD pedals. I just wished I had bought these years ago, they are fantastic. They have improved my cycling times dramatically and best of all they are a doddle to release from. I had a bit of a practice engaging and releasing from the pedals in my back garden whilst stationary leaning against a wall. Then I had a quick ride around the block and practiced whist on the move and doing a few emergency stops. I then did my 15 mile cyle ride to work that night and I had no problems at all. I was amazed at how much quicker my ride now was compared to using my old toe clips. As I've said before I just wished I had taken the plunge sooner.
I actually ordered these from Tweeks cycles on Ebay for just under £20 brand new and delivered, which also included the cleats. I thought this an excellent price as the cleats alone go for around £12 on Amazon and various other websites.
I also got Muddy Fox cycling shoes from Sportsdirect.com for £20 so for £40 all in I got very cheap entry into the world of SPD pedals.
on 19 June 2015
I was a bit apprehensive about switching to clipless pedals going from flat ones, but they have been brilliant. Can't believe how much power you can get, especially going uphill.
Recommend you borrow someone's turbo trainer to have a practice with them. What I did was ask the local bike shop to fit them and went on their turbo trainer and got some tips from them on clipping/unclipping, and also how tight to adjust the clips. I suppose you can always lean up against a wall to practice though!
I have put them on my road bike, although they are MTB style pedals. So one thing to note is that it may limit the choices of shoes that you can use with them. Mountain bike shoes will fit of course, but there are also road shoes that will fit, but you'll need to look for ones compatible with "two bolt system" (sometimes they will be "two bolt or three bolt compatible).
on 17 October 2012
I use these on my mountain and cyclo-cross bikes. They are set on the lowest tension and work well. I have provided entertainment for my mates in the forestry when I failed to release and fell sideways in slow motion into deep slime. However, that was before I got used to them. Quite simply they are better than the alternatives and very much cheaper, plus they come with the clips for your shoes.
on 22 July 2011
In my opinion these are good pedals and well worth the affordable price. Pedals came with good instructions and fitting them was easy after I got old ones loose. Build quality seems good and solid. All four sides were well adjusted and I didn't have to make any additional adjustments. Clipping and unclipping work very well and I haven't have any problems.
on 25 February 2012
As it states in other reviews takes a couple of hours to get used too, but it is worth it as it makes a big difference especially going up steep hills. I would definitely recommend them they are a good price and very well made, top score from me buy them !!!
on 10 July 2010
just got a new road bike. this particular shimano pedal is the one that works perfectly for me. it designed for mtb use but for me its ideal. i got spd shoes as sometimes i get off my bike to navigate through traffic walking. looks cool too.
on 23 February 2016
It is not mentioned in the product description that the cleats are included in the product ?. I am after going an ordering additional cleats at a cost of £9 which is over €10. The pedals arrived today, which is fantastic, then when I opened them, there where cleats with them. Total waste of €10 on buying something extra I didn't need.

Box contents is wrong. There are two pedals AND cleats in the box. This needs to be clearly advertised also.
on 2 March 2016
I really liked this product, and is one of the best things I've bought on here for a while. They feel robust, are easy to fit and adjust, and aren't too big. And having used them for a trip from Land's End to John O'Groats, I would definitely recommend them; they haven't worn at all, even after the 1000+ miles I've done in them. I've always ridden with them fully loose, and haven't found they come loose unexpectedly, but that they release as expected (a twist and pull motion). Though I am slight, and so can see why some people may want them tighter, and releasing then is also not too difficult - just requires a bit of a forceful push.

Pro's:
Good solid product, they feel robust and even after some heavy usage and falls, they haven't been marked or damaged at all.
The ease at which they can be adjusted to fit the rider; the fitting is a small sized allen key, which most riders will have with them on rides.
The size, they are quite small, around the size of a toy car; and being a mix of black and chrome, they look good too.
Being double sided, they are quite easy to get the shoe fitting in.

Con's:
If I was being picky, they can be quite slippery, and so riding without cleated shoes is difficult.
They are also not that light, and so for racing, you may want another pair.