Detailed map of Shildon; Durham sheet 42.11.
Historical introduction by Steven Dyke.
Shildon is famous as a railway town; the Stockton & Darlington Railway opened their locomotive works from 1825, and today a major branch of the National Railway Museum is based here. Our map is double-sided to give maximum coverage and includes both Shildon, the original settlement, and New Shildon, the railway town. Features on the main map include at Shildon the Main Street, St John's church, Market Place, Shildon Lodge Colliery, West Durham Wallsend Colliery, Coppy Crook Cottages, Red House. At the foot of the map is New Shildon and here are Shildon station (in the SE corner), Shildon Colliery, Shildon Wagon Works, and the various streets developed around the railway. The NER Black Boy Branch, and Surtees Railway run through the map. Overleaf we include part of adjacent map 42.15 and this continues coverage south, including the rest of the wagon works, part of the Brusselton Incline railway, and All Saints church.