on 30 October 2012
I preodered this game based on a couple of screenshots, which were oozing steampunk atmosphere and graphic style.

Unfortunately, this project did not receive the polish that it deserved.

Allow me to jot down here some complaints:

- Low-resolution images butcher the otherwise lovely 2D illustrations. The images lack the sharpness needed for the 3DS screen. Compression artifacts are visible. The 3D scenes are composed by cutting up the 2D illustration and setting them on different layers, but the final composition is rather messy and not really very interesting. The 3D just doesn't convey depth.

- The background music is muffled, repetitive - and in mono sound! There is virtually no voice work. What a shame, since the 3DS sound hardware is capable of such crisp sounds.

- The character design is rather generic. I mean, we're talking about Sherlock Holmes. Surely he can convey personality a little better. I am sorry, but it is hard to tell who is who.

- The story is poorly paced. The intro presents multiple (preposterous) plot elements in literally a couple of seconds.

- The writing is plain boring. For example, at the clue gathering stage, the game encourages you to explore a scene. But when you tap on a drawer, Sherlock says: "Why would I need to open it anyway?" Haaa! Why does Sherlock arbitrarily decide that for me?! I want to tap the screen and see interesting things happening! Instead, you have interactive areas that attract you attention, but the character informs you: "I don't need to go there". That's lazy writing, in my opinion.

- The interface for the few puzzles that I got to see was rather annoying, for some reason. It seemed simple enough - but it just didn't FEEL fun.

So maybe this game would be fine for the iPhone, or as a web-based game. Yet it costs almost as much as an ultra-polished game like "Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask"!

As you could see, I am writing here mostly about the presentation. For me, story and presentation is important in such a game - it makes or breaks the game.

If you're in a mood for a casual, yet engrossing non-violent storytelling game that makes you use your head a bit... then I can recommend to you instead the underrated "Doctor Lautrec and the Forgotten Knights", with which I had a lot of fun.
44 comments|33 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 January 2013
Bought this as my first game for the 3DS XL. I am not an avid gamer but have had a ds for several years and like this genre of game. Unfortunately I just cannot get started as I have no idea what to do or how to move around the scenes, how do I solve the puzzles as there is no tutorial and the help symbol just doesn't do anything useful. As another reviewer says when you tap on something interesting 'Sherlock' just says 'nothing to do here'. ????
I was also disappointed in the 3D effects and the characterizations. Being a huge fan of Prof Layton I was expecting the same quality in game play and characters but in 3D.
Won't be recommending it to anyone.
on 4 June 2013
I love Sherlock games and this was another good one but I must be getting better at them as I did it in no time. The clues are there and fun to do.
on 15 April 2014
I purchased this game for my partners birthday and he loves it. He really likes solving puzzle games and has all the professor Layton games, so when I saw this I new that he would like it.
on 29 March 2014
THE CLUES TO HELP YOU GET AROUND WERE VERY POOR
THIS GAME WAS NOT HAS GOOD HAS THE OTHER SHERLOCK HOLMES
on 19 January 2014
Loved this game played it twice already the puzzles were great and the fact that you can skip them helps
on 28 August 2014
Really enjoyed this game although some of the puzzles were quite easy, but all in all enjoyable.
on 9 June 2013
i love this game as well it it keeps me guesing as well then i love the little puzzles that pop up in between
on 8 August 2014
This game is a brain teaser it is brilliant
on 29 September 2014
Can't get beyond second stage

See one answered question