Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 16 Aug 2007 13:38:52 BDT
Ambrosia says:
When I am feeling strong, I respond to stupid phrases such as those in the book by taking them both literally and seriously. If the sales assistant says 'Are you alright there?' just say 'I'm sorry? In what sense?' If at the till about to pay you're asked 'How are you?' look puzzled and say 'I'm sorry, I can't remember when we met?' - also usable if addressed by first name. 'Costs are spiralling out of control' - 'Well at least they're coming down!' You get the idea. Control your environment!

Posted on 5 Jan 2014 17:23:03 GMT
charwell says:
I've tried this at the till - after waiting in a queue for a long time, when it was my turn and the assistant turned to me with "Are you alright?" and I replied that I needed to pay, it just resulted in puzzlement for her and embarrassment for me! But I take your point. I was very tempted to ask her what made her think I wasn't 'alright', and whether she meant it in a medical sense, but this would've been even worse. Whatever happened to "Hello"? (Preferably with a smile. But maybe that's too much to ask.)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  2
Total posts:  2
Initial post:  16 Aug 2007
Latest post:  5 Jan 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
She Literally Exploded: The "Daily Telegraph" Infuriating Phrasebook: The "Daily Telegraph" Infuriating Phrasebook
She Literally Exploded: The "Daily Telegraph" Infuriating Phrasebook: The "Daily Telegraph" Infuriating Phrasebook by Christopher Howse (Hardcover - 24 May 2007)
2.7 out of 5 stars   (7)