Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£3.49

on 2 January 2013
When Elisabeth discovers her husbands secrets and he attacks her, she barely escapes with her life. Taking her two young children, she goes on the run desperate to hide from her husband and the past that she knows will eventually catch up to her. Beth manages to find a job as a caretaker on a remote estate for an elderly man, upon her arrival she discovers that the elderly man has passed away and her fate lies in the hands of his nephew Jack, an injured police detective and his retired dog, Henry. Jack and Beth share an intense attraction but his instincts are screaming that she is hiding things from him and she is unwilling to let anyone close to her. In addition to Beth's storyline there is a serial killer on he loose and Beth fits his victim profile, she really can't catch a break.

I really enjoyed this one, lots of action and I devoured it in one sitting. I liked Jack, he's an older experienced male that will appeal to a lot of readers, he has a strong moral code and is very protective. The kids were an interesting aition to the story but Henry was one of the highlights. A former police dog who has a mischievous streak, you couldn't ask for a better protector. Beth's Uncle James has a large part to play in everything he is a former military man who has psychic visions. This felt slightly out of place from the rest of the story to me but it didn't detract from the plot. I will be reading more from Melinda in the future.
on 11 March 2015
This was a rather disappointing read - so predictable, and almost boring. I didn't find it that suspenseful, either. There are a 2 threads running simultaneously through the story. There are 2 bad guys with evil intentions towards our heroine. One is obvious enough from the brief book description given. The other is less obvious at the beginning of the story but after about a few chapters into the story I had already figured out who the killer was, even though in the story the reader is led to think it just might be someone else. The main characters felt lacking in depth and I wasn't drawn to either of them, really. And, the author went into too much details about the intimate scenes between Beth and Jack diminishing the thriller element from the story and lowering it to a mere romance novel with a few twists and turns (which weren't twists and turns, to say the least) to spice up the story. I have read better and am not inspired to read any more books by this author.
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 27 February 2012
Beth is escaping an abusive husband and has secured a position as a caretaker to an old man on a country estate where she hopes that she and her children can live safely. Jack has just inherited the estate from his dead uncle and is recovering from wounds received in his job as a police officer. Beth's husband is trying to find them and it looks like there is also is a serial killer operating in the area.

This is a romantic suspense novel where the romance is predominant and the threats are used as a way to bring the main characters together. It is competent enough with a couple of good touches including the opening scenes with the hearse. The children are, as usual, a little too good to be true but Beth and Jack are well developed and realistic characters.

Perhaps a little too light in the touch to convey the threats properly but enjoyable to read.
on 1 August 2014
Enjoyed reading this fast paced novel, although I did find it a little predictable. The characters of Jack, James and Beth were well rounded. I do think a little more explanation of just what Ben and Katie were terrified of may have helped a bit rather than just being told their were afraid of their stepfather. Nevertheless I am more than likely to read others in the series. I love Henry and want to adopt him!
on 8 December 2015
I bought all four in this series based on Amazon recommendation and after reading the blurb. I have just finished reading She Can Run which is the first one. It was not particularly thrilling - it could have been, had it not concentrated so much on the sexual feelings and intimacy going on between the two main characters Jack and Beth. How many times did we need to know that their skin tingled the moment they brushed against each other? There was so much 'throbbing', 'pulsing' and such that I'm afraid I found myself skipping whole sections - and there were far too many - as I couldn't really care less. I am no prude, I enjoy a good, relevant bit of eroticism but this just became boring.
The characters were weak, there were certain parts of the story which seemed to go nowhere such as the uncle's 'visions' and there was not enough information regarding the threat our heroine was running away from. If anything could be salvaged then the character of Jack was reasonably well formed but non of the characters were particularly believable, especially the children - I have never come across such a well behaved boy! I really enjoy a good thriller but this was just not a thriller.
I was very disappointed with this and will probably not read the other three.
on 5 April 2014
Very good book easy read with more twists and turns than most books and the plot is not the normal one for a good read. Would read this author again.
on 25 July 2014
What a lovely story Melinda Leigh weaves, yes this is a slow burner but with great impact on the story, well written and described (especially the love scenes) more of a woman's book I would suggest. Lots of twists and turns that come along quietly and unexpectedly in every chapter building up to a good end, I found it hard to put down and sad when it ended.
on 17 July 2015
Once Beth accidentally discovers the secret of her vicious and abusive husband congressman Richard Baker, she has no other option than to run for her life, together with her two children. She manages to secure a job as a caretaker in a distant country house owned by Jack O'Malley. She finds that she must hide her identity to evade recognition from the forces commanded by her powerful husband. To top it all up, there is also the riverside serial killer, who murders women whose characteristics seem to resemble Beth's. She finds herself increasingly attracted to Jack, who seems willing to help, but will she confide in him? A nice romantic suspense offering, even if a little predictable.
on 10 March 2015
Good story and plot. Didn't develop the tension into a credible climax. Too many overt references to the sexual feelings of the main characters which took credibility from danger being developed.
on 22 April 2013
This was a the first book I've read by Melissa Leigh and I really enjoyed it. There was some great characters and a very good story line that kept me reading into the night.
I have already downloaded three more books by this author so I am looking forward to reading them!
Highly recommend!