SharePoint 2010 is nothing like its predecessors -- and this book is unlike any other book on upgrading. Sharepoint 2010: Best Practices to Upgrade and Migrate consists of a series of recent blog posts and articles from people who have been in the SharePoint admin trenches a long, long time. Together, these offerings provide an expert body of knowledge on how to launch SharePoint 2010 successfully, without pulling all-nighters or causing major disruptions.
Author Joel Oleson was involved in the first Microsoft global deployment of SharePoint, and he began blogging on the topic five years ago as a way to help IT customers. Now he and other experts in the SharePoint community share their unique insights into the business of upgrading and migrating to SharePoint 2010. This book is perfect for browsing, so feel free to jump around to the topics that concern you most.
- Prepare yourself for SharePoint and Office 2010 by archiving, cleaning up, and considering the move to 64-bit
- Learn real-world upgrade methods, such as using PowerShell, database attach, a gradual upgrade, or an in-place upgrade
- Consider upgrade development and customization options
- Determine what not to migrate to SharePoint 2010
- Discover what's new in SharePoint capacity planning and how you can take advantage of it
- Learn how to upgrade from SharePoint 2003
- Get an extensive list of upgrade and migration tools