As I say in my title this is an excellent follow up to the first book in the series (The Lord is my Shepherd). The first body appears within the first few pages and they continue to come thick and fast. In this novel someone is murdering dog owners and stealing their dogs. The first murder is apparently unrelated to these events and this seems slightly puzzling, but the author pulls it in beautifully before the end. Cindy and Jeremiah are back in this novel. It we hear slightly less of Jeremiah in this novel. This said we do get to see a bit more of who he really is and a little bit of insight into his mysterious past. That said it was just enough to keep you wanting to find out more, and I hope this happens in the next book. This is a very well written series and I can't wait to read the next one
I read Lie Down in Green Pastures (The Pslam 23 Mysteries) when it was on promo, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Now that this book is on offer I just couldn't resist. Although I didn't enjoy it as much as the other book this is still a good read.

Church secretary Cindy has plans for a daring weekend, she is going to go speed dating, but Friday evening she has a charity event to attend to. Looking for the organiser's PA she finds he is dead, and then that a dog has gone missing. From there on things start happening. Homeless people turning up dead, dogs going missing and the police clueless. At the same time a ghost from Jeremiah's past, the rabbi of the synagogue next door to Cindy's church, finds a former friend dead on his lawn.

As the police start to piece together what is happening, so is Cindy, and when Mark, one of the lead investigators on the case has his wife kidnapped she moves in to solve the case and rescue the woman. Although Jeremiah is far from well he keeps tabs on Cindy, thus hoping to keep her safe.

I am a big Sherlock Holmes fan and so this mystery wasn't really that difficult to solve, if you are also a Holmes fan you will recognise this novel as reminiscent of one of the great detective's short tales. Although undoubtedly inspired by a Holmes story though, this is a good modern twist on that plot.
on 27 July 2012
Plot was interesting and twisty enough to keep me hooked. Some interesting and thought provoking questions raised without being too preachy. Didn't matter that I hadn't read the first one: will read the first one and the next one. Disappointed that I couldn't lend it to my mum though!
on 26 July 2014