- Hardcover: 320 pages
- Publisher: Polity Press (20 Dec. 2002)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0745622488
- ISBN-13: 978-0745622484
- Product Dimensions: 17.8 x 3 x 25.4 cm
- Average Customer Review: 5.0 out of 5 stars See all reviews (1 customer review)
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 2,714,460 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
- See Complete Table of Contents
Sexualities and Society: A Reader Hardcover – 20 Dec 2002
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
From the Back Cover
Over the past generation there has been a revolution in our understanding of human sexualities. From being on the periphery of historical and scientific studies, sexuality has increasingly come to be seen as close to the heart of our understanding of contemporary societies. Since the 1960s there has been an explosion of new sexual knowledges which have re–shaped the ways in which the erotic is understood. A rich new literature has emerged, often produced by scholars influenced by feminism, lesbian and gay politics and other sexual movements.
Sexualities and Society: A Reader offers a selection of the best of recent scholarship, from a range of disciplinary perspectives. Addressing sexualities in global perspective, it introduces some of the most exciting texts in the field, bringing together a collection of compelling contemporary research which will be fascinating to readers worldwide. The chapters are grouped into five sections: social and historical approaches to sexualities; the gender of sexuality; sexual identities; globalization; power and resistance; and sexual values and life experiments.
Sexualities and Society will be a valuable resource for students of a range of courses addressing sexuality, including gender studies, feminist studies, the body, lesbian and gay studies and queer studies, aswell as sociology, cultural studies, politics, history and social policy.
About the Author
Jeffrey Weeks and Janet Holland are at South Bank University. Matthew Waites is at Sheffield University.
Inside This Book(Learn More)
Browse and search another edition of this book.
Around 1700 in the northwestern Europe, in England, France, and the Dutch Republic, there appeared a minority of adult men whose sexual desires were directed exclusively toward adult and adolescent males. Read the first page
Front Cover | Copyright | Table of Contents | Excerpt | Index | Back Cover
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Gay & Lesbian > Critical Theory
- Books > Gay & Lesbian > Political & Social Issues
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Psychology & Psychiatry > Specific Topics > Sexual Behaviour
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Government & Politics > Political Science & Ideology > Political Science
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Social Sciences > Discrimination & Racism
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Social Sciences > Gender Studies
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Social Sciences > Sociology