Format: Audio CD|Change

on 12 January 2000
After playing this album to a mate of mine in the car the other day, I managed to convert him to the funky sound that is James Brown. Includes his `50's and `60's hits Please, Please, Please and Night Train aswell as his `70's disco anthem Sex Machine. The real treat is the final track - Soul Power "Live". Being strategically placed at the end of the album, it makes the listener beg for more thus resulting in the purchase of many live albums. Bobby Byrd backs the Godfather up as fantastically as he does, stepping into the limelight at just the right times for the right amount of time to make it all work. Great stuff.
on 12 August 2000
I don't know, but whatever I'm gonna play it's got to be FUNKY.
The spoken intro to "Make it funky" defines the spirit of this album, and of Brown's whole life. Almost all the famous hits are here, with only a few slightly ropy 80s ones in the middle that are worth skipping. Still, with getting on for 20 tracks, over half of which are classics, there's no way this can't get 5*s.
on 6 April 2010
This is for me probably the best James Brown best of's out there.. and theres quite a few as im sure you've noticed and there'll probably be a few more i'd imagine too.. this has all the best ones pretty much for me and in a nice flowing order..

if your not grooving by the end of it - you should get an appointment with your doctor the next day, you've got a big problemo!

all good music collections need this.
on 13 August 2014
Brilliant collection of the Master of his craft...this CD has full length editions of some of his best hits and every track is supported by some of the funkiest musicians of the day at their very very best...play it loud...play it often...and Get On The Good Foot !!
This is a fabulous collection of the works of the late James Brown but it is missing one crucial element - where is 'the Boss'? (recently used in the Gordon's Gin ad).

Still, a great intro to the work of 'the Godfather' and well worth a listen.
on 17 April 2014
I love this as he was one of my favourites and when I moved house I sold my vinyl records (I don't know what I was thinking) ??
Anyway love listening to this in the car
on 2 December 2012
This is a fab collection of the best of James Brown and I am so pleased I bought it and it brings back lots of memories of many years ago!
on 27 February 2015
Just brilliant is all I can say about this Album. some of J.B's more well known songs and a neat compilation
on 19 October 2015
The King of soul this just shows there will never be another James Brown "get on up"
on 28 October 2015
I like love James Browns music. A brilliant album.