TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 27 November 2012
I expected, like pancaked, to make a few dud's before I got the knack, but no, this thing worked from waffle no.1 till the end of the batter mix I had made up.

What more can you want or ask for?

I turned it on, left it for 10 mins, opened it to let out the smoke (as it was new) and then gave it a clean.

I then set about making my batter for that I used the following lighter fluffier recipe:

Makes 6-7 Waffles

Pinch of Salt
350ml of Whole Milk
57g of Unsalted Butter, melted
1 tsp of Vanilla Extract

(You can use self-raising flour, just leave out the baking powder)
Buter should be melted but NOT burning hot, leave it to cool for a bit while you make the rest of the batter.

Process,

1) Add all the dry ingredients together. Thats the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar together and mix to combine and then set aside.

2) In another bowl, whisk together all the wet ingredients, which are the milk, butter, eggs and vanilla for about 1 minutes or until well mixed.

3) Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and just mix them enough to combine but don't over mix, a few lumps are ok then let it sit until the waffle iron is ready.

4) Meanwhile, preheat your waffle iron until the green light comes on and then lightly grease the waffle maker with either cooking spray or vegetable oil. I only needed to do this the once for every batch of 6-7.

5) Pour in a small ladle of batter enough for a deep ball about 1-1.5 inches less than the irons plate. Squish it down and let it cook the waffles until the green light comes back on.

That made perfect waffles for me. Hope it does for you too.

(oh and that was turned up all the way on the temerature dial, forgot to say)

Great results, easy clean, really fluffy great with icing sugar alone or some maple syrup and fruits or ice cream.

Tip: Preheat your oven to its lowest setting the turn off, pop a plate in and keep putting the warm waffles on that plate as you cook them, keeps them warm till you serve them.

Tip2: Cover in cling film and store in the fridge, heating in the microwave or in a toaster in the mornings, they keep for 2-3 days in a cold fridge.
11 comment|87 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 November 2011
I chose the Severin wafflemaker as John Lewis stock (or used to stock) their crepe makers (but didn't stock the waffle maker). My children love waffles and I preferred this one also because my mother used to have a similar one when I was a child. Delivery was quick - from Germany, it's easy to operate and it makes fantastic waffles .
Smiles all around.
on 3 March 2011
Bought this as a fun valentines day present for my wife as she loves waffles and this one makes heart shaped ones! Used it a few times now and it works really well and takes little time to produce briliant waffles evertyime. Well worth the money.
on 6 April 2013
I thought the waffle maker was pretty good. It was a little smaller than I thought it would be, but I like that it has a temp control on it because I like soft, fluffy waffles and my husband likes the outside crispy.
on 3 June 2015
smaller than i expected but did the job. It fits well in the kitchen, the product is easy to use, store and clean.

Delivery was already very quick.
on 4 March 2015
At first I was really doubtful to buy this waffle maker as I have read there is quite a number of negative review such as this only makes a thin waffles and took a long time to cook.

I do not get thin waffles - mine has a right thickness and very delicious, it takes 3 minutes for the waffles to cook! I tried it as soon as I received it the next day after I have placed my order and reminded myself to make a positive review about the product! For a university student, i really do not want to wait for breakfast to be made so I usually made a quick breakfast but find it not fulfilling my tummy during lectures. But with a student budget, the price is amazing for this waffle maker!
review image
on 16 April 2011
Not good.

Mum is Norwegian and we have had lovely waffles all our life. Thought it was time I had a machine of my own. Even with mum's 80 years of experience to hand could not make a waffle where the pattern appeared on both sides. Day 2 of using this machine a bit fell off the machine. Complained to the company who said it was too late to complain. It has not been used since. Total waste of money. Would not recommend in any way, the one star you need to click is one star too many!
on 28 February 2015
Apparently this device is "engineered in Germany", but it is actually built in China, not necessarily a problem, but..........it is painfully slow to actually cook the waffle, and will only accept a small amount of the waffle mix, before it overflows, causing an almighty mess. You probably only get what you pay for, in which case it is probably worth paying more for something that actually works. It is now consigned to the loft, and will probably not see further service for many Years to come!
on 20 March 2016
It's a good product and does as it should however one big problem is how to clean it. It's impossible!
on 30 June 2015
I'm Norwegian - this is the Norwegian waffle type. You shouldn't expect Belgian style waffles!

They are thinner and heart shaped and should be made using the Norwegian waffle recipes (ideally look for the recipes with Cardamom in them).

The waffle iron works well for the money you pay for it. Certainly because you don't want to be travelling to Norway to pick a decent one up!