Pro SQL Server 2008 Failover Clustering is dedicated to the planning, implementation, and administration of clustered SQL Server 2008 implementations. Whether deploying a single–instance, two–node cluster or a multiple–node, many–instance cluster for consolidation, this book will detail all of the considerations and pitfalls that may be encountered along the way. Clustering and high–availability expert Allan Hirt shares his many years of wisdom and experience, showing how to put together the right combination of people, processes, technology, and best practices to create and manage world–class, highly available SQL Server 2008 failover clusters.
- Provides a comprehensive look at SQL Server 2008 failover clustering from the first steps of planning to daily administration
- Goes beyond just SQL Server 2008 and also covers Windows Server 2008 clustering in depth with a SQL Server focus
- Covers how and where virtualization can be used with failover clusters
- Addresses the needs of enterprise–class, 24/7 SQL Server 2008 implementations
- Written by the leading expert on SQL Server failover clustering
What you’ll learn
- Understand what failover clustering is, how it works, and how it can benefit SQL Server deployments.
- Configure disk subsystems to support failover clustering implementations.
- Plan, implement, and administer Windows Server 2008 clustering for use with SQL Server 2008.
- Plan, implement, and administer new SQL Server 2008 failover clustering instances.
- Upgrade existing SQL Server 2000 and SQL Server 2005 failover clustering instances to SQL Server 2008.
- Create virtualized clusters for use in test and development environments.
Who is this book for
This book is for IT administrators and DBAs who are faced with implementing and administering clustered SQL Server 2008 instances. This book is also for those who will be upgrading existing SQL Server 2000 or SQL Server 2005 failover clustering instances to SQL Server 2008.
About the Apress Pro Series
The Apress Pro series books are practical, professional tutorials to keep you on and moving up the professional ladder.
You have gotten the job, now you need to hone your skills in these tough competitive times. The Apress Pro series expands your skills and expertise in exactly the areas you need. Master the content of a Pro book, and you will always be able to get the job done in a professional development project. Written by experts in their field, Pro series books from Apress give you the hard–won solutions to problems you will face in your professional programming career.
About the Author
Allan Hirt is a Microsoft Cluster "Most Valuable Professional" living just outside of Boston. Starting as an intern at Sybase in college, Allan has used SQL Server in its various forms since 1992. For the past 10 years, he has traveled all over the world to train, mentor, and work with clients. He has also authored or contributed to publications about SQL Server for various outlets including Microsoft and SQL Server Magazine via whitepapers, webcasts, training courses, and books. He is a frequent speaker at conferences like TechEd and SQL PASS. Allan's website and blog can be found at http://www.sqlha.com and at @SQLHA on Twitter.