on 7 March 2002
This book claims to contain questions that "match the exam questions in content and feel". It doesn't...
Having failed 70-229 using this book as my main reference point I have to say I found the exam a shock, despite my familiarity with SQL server 7.0. The practice questions in the book were much easier than those in the exam, and did not bear much relationship in terms of the type of question. There were many topics that came up in the exam which were not mentioned in the book, let alone tested in the mock questions.
Subjects were covered in brief detail, only scratching the surface of what was required to pass 70-229.
On a more picky note I found several bugs and faults in the online test material supplied with the book.
The book is saved from getting 1 star as it provides a reasonable basic grounding in some areas of SQL server 2000. I will not be using it to prepare for re-sitting 70-229 and would advise other candidates to do the same. This book seriously underestimates what is needed to pass 70-229 in my opinion.
on 23 February 2002
I was apprehensive about getting this book as there were no reviews from anyone else, and as the book by the same publisher on exam 70-228 got such a bad write-up, but got it anyway as there didn't seem to be many good books available for exam 70-229. I have nearly finished reading it and so far have been pleasantly suprised, the content follows the Microsoft syllabus closely, with sufficient and clear detail, screen-shots etc. There are plenty of practice questions (at the end of each chapter and as a final exam simulation on the CD) and the CD accompanying the book is good too. Not only would the book be good for the exam, I would also recommend it to people who want to improve their SQL Server knowledge anyway, as it has practical real-world information too. In preparing for the exam I have also done the corresponding 5-day Microsoft course...