on 3 December 2001
The book provides a great overview and much detail to the whole question of Straw Bale construction and is required reading for anybody considering the technique. I however am more interested in the Nebraska style of construction (straw bales providing structure of the walls) and this book is lacking the detail and most importantly confidence when writing about this technique. For me the Nebraska style represents the romantic image of a handmade straw bale home. If you wish to build an American style timber framed house, insulated with Straw bales then everything you need to know is here. We need another book that plots the build of a Nebraska style homes from start to end.
on 21 October 2012
I have just completed my first bale house, well the outside at least, and I have used this book as a point of reference along the way. Whilst I haven't followed all the advice, it has provided me with alternative methods laid down in other books. If you are serious about straw bale then this will not be the only book you buy, so believe me when I say that this is one of the better ones. In the end you will follow your head and common sense will help you build your house, but this is a good book to have on-board. It may be a bit American for some people, but then they have a wider library and experience on the subject, as long as you can get past this it's a great book.
on 24 May 2007
this book contains a huge amount of information on building with strawbales and would be very useful to anyone interested in the subject. the methods and information covered are particularly relevant to america and not always so helpful for the uk. certain techniques differ from those described in British literature, paricularly those regarding details. small differences but ones that could have a huge influence on the performance of the building. I would reccomend anyone to read another book such as Barbara Jones' alongside this.