on 13 June 2014
I find loads of new authors on Kindle but don't think I've ever bought 6 additional books immediately after reading the first one, which is what I did with the Lakeland Murders Series. I saw the other reviews going on about grammatical errors - each to their own - just read through them, enjoy the flow of the plots and fall for the characters. Excellent stuff!
on 10 June 2014
This was a good police procedural story with an interesting 2 stranded storyline however there were several errors in the text and at around three quarters of the way through the initial crime appeared to have moved forward to the next day.

This hasn't put me off trying the next in the series as I wish to see how the characters develop, and knowing the area also like the fact that I can picture most of the locations, however I really do hope the proof reader was having a better day.
on 1 April 2014
Really enjoyed this book. The characters were interesting and the background detail gave a realistic view of policing in the 21st century. I liked the fact that there was more than one "crime" to focus on. Liked it so much have bought all the series so far, and will certainly get the next one when published.
on 31 March 2014
I've recently discovered this series and I must admit that I've become hooked. The characters are clearly identifiable which makes excellent story lines all the more enthralling.
on 7 June 2014
I enjoyed this book and look forward to reading the next ones in the series. The author has a good knowledge of the area and that appealed to me as an occasional visitor to the Lakes. My only criticism is the lack of proof-reading. The timeline jumps between December and January and poor Jasper the dog gets three different spellings in three pages plus there are numerous syntax errors. It doesn't spoil the story but it does jar the eye.
on 19 January 2014
This book just does not come up to expectations. Although quite a good story it is let down badly by errors. Surely authors proof read their own books before self publishing. One amusing typo was the dog that changed his name three times in a couple of pages. He started out as Jasper, then became Japser and finished as Japer. It detracts from the story.
on 4 February 2013
The debut novel from author JJ Salkeld is set in the seemingly sleepy town of Kendal, Cumbria. We follow DI Andy Hall and his team as they struggle to solve the apparently motiveless murder of a local teenager, whilst also investigating a local youth found with a large stash of drugs in a car.
This book combines the sense of a place far from the big city with the realities of a modern Police force coping with budget constraints. The backgrounds of the detectives are fleshed out and there is obvious empathy for the family whose lives are torn apart by the crime.
I found the book to be well written with a distinct feeling of being set in the here-and-now and with flashes of wry humour.
I'm looking forward to the second of the Lakeland Murders series.
on 19 November 2013
Good thriller police procedural, original characters and plot. Also good on identification of place. Needs better editing, but that's the same for so many these days.
on 21 October 2015
I really could not get into this book at all and struggled to finish it.
I did not like the way everything is in short paragraphs - not chapters and had to re-read the previous short paragraphs to fine out which character was now the focus. Badly edited, very frustrating. The author knows the area very well, but the characters are pretty soul less. Not my thing at all.
Don't bother.
on 5 January 2014
I enjoyed this story which kept you turning the pages. It is a good murder mystery in the police procedural genre and I liked the characters who were shown to be human with related frailties, having to deal with personal issues as well as professional. I'm looking forward to reading more of this author.