3.9 out of 5 stars1,448
Colour Name: Black|Change

on 13 December 2010
Got these a replacement to the CX300 mk1s which I have been using every day as I walk to an from work.

First thing to note is the build quality. A bigger, gold plated jack looks and feels alot sturdier. Its bigger size has however not been a hinderance. The junction reinforcement, where each cable splits off has also been beefed up making these feel much more resilient. Not much has visually changed with the driver unit, it has now got a sloped back but overall looks to be the same size etc.

The biggest difference comes in the sound department (where it matters!). The bass response is much better and is pretty astounding for in-ear headphones at this price. I quite like walking along to the odd dance track and tunes like Mylo - Destroy Rock 'n' Roll (Tom Neville Clean remix) sound excellent. The bass has plenty of weight and presence and the high end is tight & crisp.

I'm not going to comment on how well these head phones fit as that is a completely personal interaction, they either will or they wont. There are three different sized rubber ear pieces included, so hopefully one pair will work. There is also a soft sprung clasp pouch included, for stowing the headphones when no in use. This is a welcome extra but I've reverted back to my usual hard shelled tin as it offers a bit more protection whilst bouncing round my bag.

To summarise, if you already own CX300s, the mark twos are a worthwhile upgrade. If you are in the market for in-ear headphones, these should not be overlooked. Top Quality Sound and Build for next to nothing.

**** ONE YEAR EDIT ****

Well after a year of daily use (hour walk to and from work) a connection in the left ear has gone. Resulting in only faintly audible levels coming from the left hand side. There's a two year warranty so it should be covered.
1010 comments|241 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 May 2014
Alas, I am no longer at the mercy of rubbish, overpriced Apple earphones.

I was once happy to call myself a proud owner of Sennheiser earphones. I used them everyday, starting from the moment I'd leave the house, and couldn't be more pleased with the quality of sound delivered. On one fateful day, over 2 years after they were purchased, they were snagged by a hook on the train, which rendered them useless and left me feeling utterly desolated.

Having bought an iPhone 5, the newest, coolest phone on the block at the time, I was sure their redesigned earphones would do the trick. Ah, if only that were the case. They work alright when I'm at home in utter silence, but if I dare attempt to use them in a noisy environment, I hear nothing but faint voices and murmurs in the background. Maybe it's my brain telling me it's time to get some Sennheisers.

I am pleased to have succumbed to this temptation. I bought these only 2 days ago but I have not enjoyed my music this much in a long time. The sound is crisp, the bass is thick and distinguished, the voices sound natural and clear. You know that loud, annoying group of friends chatting hysterically when you just want to listen to your damn music? You can forget about them. And the wailing baby. And the vigorous roar of the bus engine. The Sennheisers will clog your ear up, and you won't hear squat from the world around you unless it damn pleases you.

All in all, 5 stars. Does exactly what I want it to and no more.
0Comment|114 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 February 2014
First, I will admit to not being in any way, shape of form an audiophile. I am partial to quality headphones though.

First, the sound. It's decent, and extremely well balanced. I find all the Sennheisers I own to produce exactly the same type of sound that I would best describe as crisp yet flat. There is almost no natural bass, which I personally think is a good thing. I'd rather hear the nuances of each song rather than have such details drowned out by bass. These headphones are no different, they produce clean and crisp sound.

Second, the build quality. I get through a paid of headphones every 3 months or so and it's always the same thing, the sound just stops in one of the ear-phones. I know I should take more care of them, I know I probably shouldnt wrap them up into a ball when I'm not using them, I know I shouldn't pull them so hard out my ears....So I was a little disappointed to see these sennheisers have an unexpectedly thin cable which I feel is not going to stand the test of time. Bear in mind they are about 1 month old and still working perfectly, I just feel they are even more fragile than a paid of OEM apple headphones. I really hope I am wrong and they continue to perform for another 2 years, but I am noticibly more gentle with them for this precise reason.

All in all decent headphones for the money I paid. If they do stop working I would probably just buy another paid for the price they are on amazon.
on 16 September 2009
Do you want to listen to music without other people hearing it? Do you like black things with little shiny silver bits on them? Then these might just be for you!

Features include:
- decent sound quality, as far as I can tell. But I'm just some pleb listening to 256kbps MP3s, not George Martin with a DAT machine.
- pretty good bottom end, if you like that sort of thing. If you don't like that sort of thing, change the EQ setting and I'm sure you'll be fine; otherwise it's a bit like sticking your pinky finger too far into your earhole.
- reasonably durable. I've had them a couple of weeks and they haven't broken yet.
- fairly comfortable, insofar as sticking foreign objects into your ear ever can be.
- sensibly priced. But if you want to spend £200 on a pair of headphones, that's your call. Look elsewhere.
- okay accessories. Comes with extra rubber ear-plug bits that double as fake beauty spots and a spring-clasped carrying case. The latter can be clipped onto your nose if you want to pretend to be a koala.

There is some cable noise, which I know aggravates some people. You can ameliorate this by sticking the cable inside your shirt, which tickles pleasantly, or you can embrace it and adjust your stride to sync with the music, adding an extra layer of percussion. If it's a big deal, spring for wireless headphones and accept that you're going to look like Lando Calrissian's factotum in 'The Empire Strikes Back'.

In short, I like them as much as, if not more than, other earphones I've tried.
77 comments|227 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 December 2014
One issue to bring to your attention - they have that (subjectively) annoying feature in which the right headphone goes around the back of your neck - you definitely can't leave these dangling out if you take them off, and you'll have a wire running across your neck too - no comments with regards to anything else, just wanted to add this to your consideration.
on 13 February 2012
I bought these headphones originally on the basis of a good review from the Gadget Show, without really knowing much about sound quality as a topic. I'm a young musician, quickly turning into an audiophile, and these headphones are brilliant.

SOUND QUALITY:
I listen to a pretty eclectic range of music - my iPhone has dubstep, through indie rock, classical, house, brass band, acoustic, soul... And listening to these through my new laptop with WAVES audio sounds truly amazing. Currently on is a John Williams greatest hits CD - Prologue from JFK has never sounded so real, with true distinction between low bass and high, and Flying Theme from E.T. sounds incredible. It feels like your ears are sitting in the middle of a ginormous musical spectrum, with bass sinking millions of miles below and highs drifting in the clouds above.

COMFORT:
These are very very comfortable, it is now impossible to use bog standard crappy headphones like apple standard ones, which now feel chronically uncomfortable and tinny, shrill, bassless, unbalanced... - these sit nicely within the ear without protruding a million miles into the ear. This design provides excellent...

NOISE ISOLATION:
These headphones submerse you into a complete world of your own - on a noisy bus I can have my iPhone at just over half volume, and even with classical music I am oblivious of the outside world and drift into a trance. Only public service announcements and the like drift through enough for you to take a headphone out and return to the land of the living. In fact, when trying to get sleep on a 24+ hour coach journey on tour, I use these as earplugs and again, they work a treat.

MY ONLY QUALM with this product is the cable design. I like the L shaped jack, as this means it doesn't get wiggled around jacks in pockets, which is what screwed up my last iPod. However, the two headphone cables are very different lengths, the right being over twice the length of the left, which means the left ear can be taut whilst the right is flapping around.

Apart from that, I've had these for about half a month and they only seem to be sounding better.
on 23 July 2012
Like with so many other reviewers here, my CX300s had to be replaced because the left-hand earphone went dead. Actually, I think I know why too. I use my earphones with an iPod Touch to listen to audio books, and I always wound the wire around the case when I put it away. This was clearly putting a strain on the cable where it went into the right-angled 3.5mm jack, and it had finally given up the ghost.

I chose the 300s over the newer 400s simply because I think the asymmetric wire is invaluable if you're using the things outdoors. How else do you quickly pull the earpieces out of your ears and not have the earpieces dangle on the floor?

I think the newer model is better than the older one (which I had for nearly 3 years). To begin with the jack plug has been made very much more robust than the old one, and even though I will stop winding the wire around the iPod, I think this newer plug will be more resilient.

The bass isn't as pronounced as with my old ones, but I think they still need time to burn in.

Interestingly, my wife needed some in-ear units and asked me to buy some for her, but she baulked at what she thought was the very high cost of these Sennheisers. So under instruction I bought (also from Amazon) the Creative EP-630 ones that look almost the same. Having tried hers I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt the difference is well worth paying for.
on 27 April 2009
Bought these when I got my ipod nano after reading a review on the What Hi-fi website. Great quality for the size and price and a huge improvement over the standard ipod earphones. The only complaint, as with a previous review, is that due to the design of the headphones, any rubbing or vibration of the wires does result in a lot of noise. Ok for me, but maybe a problem if you intend to wear these while exercising.
11 comment|88 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 September 2011
Great headphones, rated by Hifi Mags and for the price they are excellent. A big improvement on the headphones you get bundled with music players. You will get excellent sound but bear in mind the following. I think they do need some running in before they sound best. You will get the best sound and isolation by trying the different ear fittings you get with them until you get a snug fitting in ear. If you don't they will sound thin and toppy.Update- having used the RHA ones for £30 for some time I would buy the RHAs by far a batter fit into the ear given their unique shape
on 29 January 2015
I bought these earphones almost 7 years ago, in a shop on the town high-street. That in itself is quite a feat, the fact that they haven't broken, haven't deteriorated in sound quality and still look pristine is amazing.
I have used them in every which situation, took them with me to school and used them for a few hours every day, come home and exercise with them in. This includes running, lifting unpleasant heavy things, and boxing. They've been stood on, thrown about, even gone through the wash a couple of times and yet they remain defiant and undefeated.

Although I claim these to be the best earphones I've ever had, due to the longevity of these things - I haven't much of a basis for comparison. Before I got really interested in tech I was a fan of Skullcandy, mostly because they looked cool when I was 12. I had a few pairs of them. These absolutely blow them out the water in every single aspect, Sennheiser really are at the very top of my list for audio-related needs now.

They sound quality really was brilliant when I first got them, and they remain so nowadays. Obviously in-ear buds won't ever be able to compare to the likes of over-ear headphones like the Audio-Technica ATH-M50X's, but this really is top of the line for it's field, in my opinion. The lows, mids and highs are all so clear and crisp, and they're really capable of adjusting when you fancy pushing the limits on the equaliser. Not to mention the noise isolation, which really does work very nicely. Especially if like I did, you had to get a very loud and overcrowded 50-minute bus journey to school and back every day.

Congratulations Sennheiser, you da bomb.

EDIT: They finally kicked the bucket in January, and I bought another pair immediately. Still going strong now in June, and hopefully will last me until 2023. Long live Sennheiser!
review image review image