I have been looking for simple good watch for ages - the Seiko 5 Sports SNZG17K1 ticks all the boxes as a watch.
- Clear, large analogue black dial face, white hands - easy to see the actual time
- No fancy secondary dials - great
- Clear Day/Date
- Automatic - will not expect it to be as accurate as a quartz - but personally that is not a problem for me - if it loses a second a day, then maybe I will adjust it once few months.
- Weight - not too heavy, but not so light you don't know its there
- Colour - actually it is more dark granite colour than black - which I much prefer
- Easy to adjust time, day and date without having to read the manually. When adjusting the day/date, make sure you set the time to morning time before changing the day/date - i.e. adjust/forward the time to just past when the day/date flicks over to the next day/date, then change the day/date.
- The day can be set for English or French, nice little feature if you are French.
- 100M water resistant - hmmm, that's seriously deep - PADI Open Water license only allows you to go to 40M - and thats quite deep.
Adjusting the strap was a bit fidderly, but once you get the first pin out, you can use that to knock out the next pin. Or if you have the patience to wait, take it to a jewellers - they have the specific tools. Not prepared to knock of a star for that though.
Overall, I would say the best watch I have ever had - simple, effective, clutter free watch - if you just want to know the Time, Day, Date without squinting past useless secondary dials and not having to worry about batteries, I would definitely recommend this one.