VINE VOICEon 17 November 2011
The Seiko SKA427P2 is a mid range diver's watch driven by Seiko's kinetic power movement. This is an ideal system for powering a diver's watch : it gives you all the advantages of a mechanical automatic system along with the associated accuracy of a electronic quartz movement (generally, the down side of any battery powered diver's watch is that it can prove expensive having the water resistant seals renewed every time you have to change the battery. Kinetic drive avoids this problem by using movement to charge a electronic capacitor within the watch. A couple of days use should give you enough charge for a few months).

The watch is identical to a couple of other models in Seiko's line up apart from the most distinguishing feature, which is it's black ion coating. In reality the colour seems to be a very dark gun metal brown/grey to me. I think its quite attractive, and it certainly sets off the pure black face and bezel nicely. The traditional drawback with this is that any scratches will show up easily through the black coating, however Seiko maintain that this is very unlikley.

The face is an exercise in simplicity, big "chunky" lumibrite tabs with a date window at three o'clock, and the three hands also carrying lumibrite tabs. The "screw down" crown is guarded, and there is also an additional button at two o'clock which will indicate the remaining power reserve using the second hand. |The rubber strap is sturdy and truer to the form of being a watch that really can be used for diving than equivalent models on a bracelet. The bezel is quite delightful, and probably the smoothest to operate of any of the watches I own (and as I have "a thing" about watches, there's a few) The watch is rated to 20atm which means it really will perform as a diving watch if needed.

In conclusion I'd say this is a nice watch. The black ion coating is a bit of a "marmite" feature (you either love it or you don't) - but if not there is an equivalent version in standard stainless steel. The watch is well built if a little heavy (often the case with kinetic watches), but personally I prefer a watch that way. It's worth comparing prices for this model in particular as, due to it's unconventional colour, some places will charge more than the stainless steel version, while others charge less. I managed to find mine at half of the RRP from an internet dealer, and am very pleased with the deal.
on 24 November 2012
Truthfully I was in two minds after I had placed my order on black Friday. However after having received it Incredibly quick next day after making purchase. I haven't taken it off. It looks and feels wonderful. The black pvd'ish is good,the splash of yellow is a nice touch and the rubber strap is comfortable. More than pleased.
on 22 March 2012
At this price point,this Seiko diver is almost unbelievable quality.

An American chap did some torture tests on this model by freezing it,boiling it & running it over in his car,amongst other things.He recorded his results on a watch forum that I frequent.The watch did not break or stop.

It is wonderfully comfortable,looks splendid & is completely accurate.

Seiko have made another affordable masterpiece.
on 1 October 2015
I've only just taken delivery of this watch, and was very impressed by the prompt service. I had been going to get the SKA427P1, which, as far as I can make out, is the same watch, because that has a metal strap. However, because of the chunkiness of the watch, I'm glad I chose the rubber strap, which keeps the watch in place on the wrist better. My only regret is that, having read the user guide, I now know that there is a version which has the day as well as the date, which I would have chosen if I'd known about it. Apart from that, it's the watch I've been wanting for a while, and I can see it giving me a few years of good service.
on 14 September 2013
I bought this watch as a birthday present and i really love it. It has the seiko quality, it differentiates from the rest cause of its unique color. The black rubber bracelet is steady but not heavy. It is water resistant up to 200 meters. So actually is a divers watch, sporty but also very professional looking.
on 10 January 2013
Was really surprised to find this watch for such a cheap price. It has ranged from £500 in lots of dealers shops. Arrived a day early and is everything I wanted, simple, robust and very smart looking. Any occasion watch! Can't stop looking at it, worth every penny and it is an absolute steal at £150.
on 17 August 2013
Great deal for an amazing watch, very accurate and looks brill, would have liked it with day on with date like my old watch but a very minor point, thank you.
on 22 December 2013
Great quality, very cool, rugged yet very smart. One of my best purchasing decisions. Certainly a lot of watch for your money
on 21 February 2014
I purchased this watch however when it turned up I was very disappointed to find that the second hand missed every one of the markers on the dial - this is not the quality i would expect from a watch with the Seiko brand and that at full price is £430. I contacted Seiko and they advised that this was clearly a fault and advised me to return the watch to the seller.

I would gladly purchase this watch if I could be assured this fault was corrected however although i have contacted the seller twice I am still awaiting a response which makes me feel the rest of the stock is suffering the same fault. Maybe this is the reason for the bargain price????

Beware
on 27 March 2014
Reserved watch and very happy with the packing and service had seiko for many years now really happy with this watch