on 8 May 2011
There are many unanswered questions in this book. Ormond McGill was an authority on hypnotism, and I am not questioning his integrity. However,statements made by his client Sarah Channing are not accurate.
John Ellison Bates did have a daughter Emily Katherine Bates,but she was born in the October quarter of 1846 in Dover Kent, and not in Oxford in 1857 as stated by Sarah Channing. Katherine's mother did not die after giving birth to Katherine, she died when Katherine was around 18 months old. Katherine did not die in America in 1914 age 57, but in Bournmouth Dorset in February 1922 age 75.
Emily Katherine wrote a book called Seen and Unseen in 1908 which is available on Amazon, and as stated by a previous reviewer, I would also like the opinion of the man who wrote the foreword, Martin Roberts, PH.D Wales. Did he know of the existence of this book when he wrote his introduction? In the postscript of Seeing The Unseen, Martin Roberts Ph.D Wales, states a considerable amount of research was done to find out more about Katherine's existence, but little information was found other than conformation of her father and a few magazine articles she had written. Sarah Channing states she did not read anything written by Katherine, but I find this difficult to believe when parts of her account contain identical passages from the book written by Katherine in 1908.
I would also like to ask Sarah Channing, how could she state that fifty seven years was long enough for her to do what she needed to do in her lifetime as Katherine, when Katherine died in 1922 age 75?
Conformation of a past life? Not in this account. I have given this book 2 stars.

Since writing my review above, I have discovered that this book is a work of fiction. The details were taken from an old book Mr McGill had read, most likely the book published in 1908 by Katharine Bates called Seen And Unseen.
on 6 December 2000
Seeing the unseen is a truly fascinating book. Touching hypnotherapy,psyhic happenings, past life regression and most importantly spirituality.
This book holds hope and confirmation of the fact we are eternal beings experiencing a human exisitance. If a reader is just looking for a pleasant read then follow Katherine Bates life from the mid 1800's to early 1900's just as a story alone.
If you are interested in spiritual matters then this book is a gem, delve deeper and see if it rings true to you. The Appendix completes the book perfectly, forgive me for not revealing more of the story..but I would prefer readers to discover the delights of this journey for themselves.
As I closed the book I am filled with a sense of peace and bewilderment of the infinite possibilities facing us over our lifetimes.
Sarah if you ever read this review, Know I am holding my breathe waitng for your story..not as a film star...but acontinum of Katherine's soul. If you choose not to, know I am grateful for all you shared already thankyou for the confirmation*
on 19 September 2009
This is a very interesting and enjoyable book which claims to tell the past life memories of one "Saeah Channing" when she lived in the 19th century as spiritualist Katherine Bates.
I have found through searches on the internet that this woman did indeed exist. However rather oddly she wrote a book with a very similar title,"Seen and Unseen" (1908), of which whole chunks are word for word the same as McGill's book.
The questions then must be:
Did Ormond Mcgill make up the story and copy Katherine's memories from her book?
Did Sarah Channing learn the book by heart and recite it while she was supposedly hypnotised?
Or did Katherine Bates read her book to Sarah Channing from the other side for her to repeat in her sessions with the hypnotist?
I would very much like opinion of the man who wrote the forward, Martin Roberts Phd. Did he know of the existence of this book when he wrote his introduction?