on 18 June 2000
I come from a different area of language studies, so although I am familiar with the study of languages, I'm a beginner in this field. I found this book very interesting. It offered definitions, explanations, examples and was written in a language one could easily understand. For those of you, who are beginners in this field like I am, the first chapter will be a little bit heavy, but don't put the book away, it's worth reading and the authors raise many interesting points. The only setback is the layout. It looks a little bit old-fashioned and hardly attractive.
on 18 November 2013
Though the publication is a little dated, this book did include a few good points that helped with my study and appreciation for style in writing. It is rich in examples, which many people might appreciate a lot.