- Hardcover: 352 pages
- Publisher: Jossey-Bass Inc.,U.S. (15 Dec. 1994)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0787900192
- ISBN-13: 978-0787900199
- Product Dimensions: 3.2 x 15.9 x 24.1 cm
Amazon Bestsellers Rank:
1,833,929 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
- #1015 in Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Psychology & Psychiatry > Applied Psychology > Counselling > Family Therapy
- #1389 in Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Psychology & Psychiatry > Specific Topics > Compulsive Behaviour
- #6309 in Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Social Sciences > Sociology > Family & Social Groups
In Search of Good Form: Gestalt Therapy with Couples and Families (The Jossey-Bass social & behavioral science series) Hardcover – 15 Dec 1994
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
More About the Author
"This is a rich and generous book. It is full of wisdom without being pushy, humane without being maudlin, instructive without being dull, clear without oversimplification. Zinker's discussion of the theory and practice of working with couples and families is itself an embodiment of good form. Both neophyte and seasoned professional of whatever theoretical persuasion are likely to enlarge their appreciation for the beautiful drama of working with couples and families as a consequence of reading it."
- Ira S. Rosenbaum, Associate Professor of Psychology, Central Michigan University
"I've never heard a Gestalt therapist so clearly articulate aesthetic principles, while at the same time embedding these principles in concrete examples and practical suggestions. In Search of Good Form is extremely practical for practicing therapists, while also being philosophically interesting and original."
- Ilene Serlin, Saybrook Institute Graduate School and Research Center
"In this age of 'managed' care when therapy is being thought of more as a business than a profession, Zinker brings a fresh artistic perspective to couple and family therapy. Not only does he provide a useful, down-to-earth theoretical method, but he tells us how and when to intervene."
- Joseph Melnick, The Portland Center for Conseling and Family Therapy--This text refers to an alternate Hardcover edition.
About the Author
Joseph C. Zinker, Ph.D., is a founding fellow of the Gestalt Institute of Cleveland, where he served as chair of the postgraduate training faculty. He teaches the Gestalt model of couple and family therapy in workshops and training programs throughout the world. His previous book, Creative Process in Gestalt Therapy (1976) remains a classic work in the field. --This text refers to an alternate Hardcover edition.
Inside This Book(Learn More)
Browse and search another edition of this book.
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
As my understanding and interests in gestalt therapy evolve, so do different sections strike me differently.
Zinker is a coach, who leans over my shoulder as I consider my approach to helping others. The tone is unequivocal: encouraging and articulate.
Zinker has been been immersed in the field to such depths that his writing shows evidence of integration of his findings. He covers gestalt therapy; a difficult topic to write about. He spells out his findings about working with families and does so in an aesthetic, almost spiritual.
Yet, I also find the book written with an intellectual rigour that invites revisiting. It's written in a can-do, leading edge manner.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Medical & Healthcare Practitioners > Other Branches of Medicine > Psychiatry
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Psychology & Psychiatry > Applied Psychology > Counselling > Family Therapy
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Psychology & Psychiatry > Applied Psychology > Psychotherapy
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Psychology & Psychiatry > Pathological Psychology
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Psychology & Psychiatry > Specific Topics > Compulsive Behaviour
- Books > Science & Nature > Medicine > Medical Sciences A-Z > Clinical Psychology & Psychotherapy
- Books > Science & Nature > Medicine > Medical Sciences A-Z > Psychotherapy & Clinical Psychology
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Medicine & Nursing > Medical Sciences A-Z
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Social Sciences > Social Issues > Social Welfare & Services
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Social Sciences > Sociology > Family & Social Groups