Format: Paperback|Change

on 15 December 2011
As someone who has always loved the look of crochet motifs, but was simply too lazy to weave in all those darned yarn ends, this book was such a revelation!

It took a little bit of concentration to understand the principle of 'part-building' motifs in one row, then 'filling in' the top of them as you go back along to the starting point of the next row, but once the penny drops, it just seems so blindingly obvious and logical, that you wonder why nobody has come up with this before!

I must confess that because I was so eager to dive right in, I didn't watch the instructional DVD first (and still haven't!), but guess the less impatient buyer would be wise to do so?

Anyway, do your favourite crocheter a BIG favour and buy them this book....they'll love you for it.
on 5 March 2012
I purchased this book as I really enjoy crocheting and do not like sewing in yarn ends.
The projects are fun to make, the pattern which is evident from the start is really lovely.
I did need to watch the DVD, to make clear about joining the motifs and would urge other
buyers to watch the DVD first, then look at the book.
I am well on the way to having made the Möbius scarf on page 50.
on 27 August 2012
I was a little concerned about buying this book because another reviewer said it was hard for left-handers to follow. I went to the back of the book where the basic 'how to' section is and started on the example motif. In the explanation is a short sentence something like 'if you're left-handed you work in a clockwise direction' and quite honestly that is really the only difference. You need to follow the motif chart in an anti-clockwise direction whilst making the actual item in a clockwise direction. I would have also liked it to say that the finished item will be a mirror image and be aware of that while joining the motifs. I am used to following patterns where things come out as a mirror image of the original, and it has never been a problem.

If you don't like charts there are written instructions too, and these don't have right/left directions but instead use words like 'current' and 'adjacent' so you don't need to swap anything over.

It is really not hard to follow, but it is different from anything else I have done. Most of the right-handed reviews say that too, so it's obviously the technique that is strange not just the left-handedness.

By the time I was on my second try out I realised that I had forgotten that I was following the charts anti-clockwise. It just seemed normal to me. The first row of motifs is probably the most easily confused, once you've done a row it is really easy to see where everything goes for the second row. I didn't use the DVD at all, I found the book said it all.

One more point for lefties - you still work the motifs in the order written in the book, just be aware that they will come out as a mirror image. You don't really need to think about it once you've got the first row in place.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 25 November 2011
Not only is Kristin Omdahl a beautiful lady, she makes magic with her hands and a crochet hook. She is also a crocheter who believes that crochet is a modern art. This is crochet you would want to wear and want to be seen in. I'll make no bones about it, I am simply in love with Kristin's work - I don't think she has ever produced a design I don't like. Her book 'Crochet So Fine' is on my shelf and this one is joining it. I can knit with my eyes closed, in my sleep, standing on my head, but I have never crocheted a garment as such, just little bits, so the patterns look a bit complicated to me but I'm sure that's how novice knitters feel when they look at a fair-isle chart. It cannot be beyond me to master this and I would jump through hoops to wear some of these. Chief on my list are the lacy Ninja Star shawlette, the front cover design Blissful Flower, Snowflake, the gorgeous mobius Star but I reckon I'll try the chunky cowl Blue Skies first. There are lots of scarves, shawls and hats, a bag and plenty of ideas for the home, of which I love the Moroccan Tile blanket. Anyone who loves crochet cannot help but fall in love with this book. Top class photography and clear instructions. Highly recommended. This review first appeared on Karen Platt's books review website and on her blog on yarnsandfabrics.
on 24 April 2014
This book is brilliant, I'm so thrilled with it! The author has come up with a fantastic technique to create crochet items that look like they're made from dozens of separate motifs, but are actually made all in one go, so there is no attaching to do afterwards, and hardly any ends to sew in.

I have tried a couple of the patterns in the book now and am getting the hang of the technique. It's a bit tricky to start with, but once you're used to it it flows better. The DVD really helps with this because you can see the author actually doing the technique, and she talks you through how to follow the charts, which are slightly different from normal crochet charts, and then it all falls into place, or it did for me. I'm just waiting for my yarn order to arrive so I can get started on my first shawl.

The patterns themselves are perfect. It's unusual for a crochet book like this to have so many things in it that I want to make! Normally there are only 2 or 3 things in a book that I'm interested in, but I want to make everything in this book. There are blankets, cushions, shawls, scarves, hats - all beautiful. And the best thing is there is a general pattern for each different motif as well as the specific item pattern, so once you are used to the technique, it's easy to use those stitches to make other items of your choosing.

I have been crocheting for years, and have got through a lot of crochet books. This is far and away my favourite. I love it.
on 2 May 2014
I love this book; beautiful patterns, with clear stitch diagrams as well as pattern instructions.

I am new to crotchet having learnt the basic stitches via the Crotchet Crowd on you tube. When I got this book I was not able to read pattern instructions or diagrams. The book contains a CD where Kristin takes you though some of the key principles of seamless Crochet using projects in the book. By following her and the diagram/patterns I now feel confident in using both!

Being new to Crotchet I didn't understand that, usually, you need to join motifs up at the end - this book gives a new way of doing things where the whole project is Crotched in one, with no seams except project start and finish. I would heartily recommend this book to beginners like myself. It is difficult for me to know how suitable it is those of you with more experience, but my guess would be that if you wanted a new way to do your motif work as one piece you will love this book too.
on 3 April 2014
I love this book and once you get the idea of seamless crochet the patterns are really easy to follow. The patterns all include written instructions and charts and are all really pretty designs but the concept of seamless crochet would work with most if not all motif designs and saves time and effort as there are very few ends to weave in, which is a job I hate. I am currently making the buttercup blanket from the book which is a 3D flower within a granny square. It is the kind of pattern I've always admired in the past but the thought of all the loose ends to weave in had always put me off. If you like motif designs but hate weaving in ends this book is definitely for you!
on 24 April 2012
Brilliant techniques and fascinating DVD! I wouldn't recommend this book to a beginner. I am having great fun with the beautiful projects!! FAB!
on 22 December 2012
I thought this would have more garments but it was all scarves, blankets,no actual garments but the charts were good layout was good information was clear and easy to understand.
on 3 August 2015
I found some of these patterns quite difficult . Although beautiful designs , definitely not for the beginner