A comprehensive training course in screen acting by an internationally renowned teacher and acting coach who has worked with actors of all backgrounds and experience - from drama school students at the start of their careers to Hollywood stars, including Daniel Craig, Angelina Jolie and Keira Knightley.
Structured as a series of five workshops, Mel Churcher takes you step by step through the process of creating, developing and delivering assured performances on screen. Online video clips, linked to throughout the book, show you all the work in action, allowing you to participate in the exercises as you progress through the workshops at your own pace.
- Workshop 1: Keeping the Life encourages you to find what is unique about yourself and how you can preserve this vitality when acting on screen
- Workshop 2: Inhabiting the Role focuses on the emotional and psychological steps required in preparing your performance
- Workshop 3: The Physical Life introduces a series of practical exercises to develop the physicality and imagination of the actor
- Workshop 4: Through the Eye of the Camera explains the technical skills you must master to act in front of a lens
- Workshop 5: Off to Work We Go covers how to prepare for auditions and then how to handle specific challenges when you get the job
Each exercise, technique and tip is vividly illustrated in the clips by footage from the author's actual workshops. The result is a vital masterclass in every aspect of acting on screen.
With a Foreword by Jeremy Irons.
When the whole business seems to have gone loopy, dip into Mel Churcher's book; somehow she always makes sense.' Bob Hoskins