Scrambled Eggs Super! (Classic Seuss)
Format: Kindle EditionChange
Price:£4.74

on 6 April 2011
I love, love, love this book.
I am enjoying reading it to my grandson just as much as I enjoyed reading it to my
children, 20+ years ago.
Basically it's all about making an omellette from the eggs of as many birds that the
little boy 'Peter T Hooper' can find.
Highly imaginitive, superbly written, sometimes tongue twisting and always hillariously
funny.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Peter T. Hooper (of The Cat in the Hat fame) addresses Liz. "[I]t's sort of a shame that scrambled eggs always taste always the same."
His recipe is more challenging than the Joy of Cooking's version. Hen eggs just won't cut it. You need hundreds of eggs from different kinds of birds (all that you've never heard of), 99 pans, 55 cans of beans, 2/3 cup of sugar, a small pinch of pepper, a pound of horseradish, some nuts, some ginger, nine prunes, three figs, 22 sprigs of parsley, 6 cinnamon sticks, and one clove.
And it's not just any different kinds of eggs. You need eggs from the Ruffle-Necked Sala-ma-goox, Kweet, Tizzle-Topped Grouse, Kwigger, South-West-Facing Crane, Grickily Gructus, Zumm, Bombastic Aghast, and many others. In fact, you have to go to so many places that you need a lot of helpers.
When you're done, you've got Scrambled Eggs Super-dee-Dooper-dee-Booper Special de luxe a-la-Peter T. Hooper. And that's what they taste like, too!
Reading this book reminded me of all the ways that children like to brag. I remember going to a camp picnic, and seeing that the can of pork and beans I had brought looked better with the top opened than the others. I began waxing eloquently about how carefully I had chosen my can of beans. Then, another boy noted that the only reason my beans looked better was because he had stirred them up with a spoon to bring the beans to the top of the can! I became much more humble about my grocery shopping skills after that experience. Peter T. Hooper hasn't been brought to ground yet.
A fun thing to use this book for is to think with your youngster about how favorite dishes could be made even better. Then, you can go on to consider how to add variety to other things that you do. This imagining will expand your child's intellect, and help both of you to lead more purposeful, interesting lives!
on 3 August 2011
As usual the book was well written and my son really enjoyed it.
However I felt a bit uncomfortable with the subject matter on this occasion.
This described different ways of obtaining eggs from birds nests.
Its a bit controversial considering the problems that conservationists have with "poachers" (pardon the pun!)
I would not like to encourage a new generation to be doing this.
Apart from that I enjoyed reading this book with my son.
on 12 July 1998
This is a great book because I love eggs and wacko birds and because Peter T Hooper does one FAR OUT thing.I mean thousands of eggs, for a new egg food.
on 31 March 2015
I loved this story as a child, so when our 3 year old son asked for " your favourite story Daddy"
It was a simple choice!
Great pictures for my 'Fire'
Bailey loved it and I had a trip down memory lane!
on 6 August 2014
One of the best Dr Seuss books, my daughter loves it!
on 20 October 2014