on 16 November 2007
I have been reading many of S. Kelby's photography/Photoshop books. I particularly liked the ones where he gives tips on whitening teeth, make eyes spark, etc. I also read quite a few books (from him and others), that try to explain most features in Photoshop. All that does help, but it does not lead you to a point where you can say that your photos are as good as they can get.

I was missing the book that would do that, until this one came out. The 7-point system really works. When Kelby says that repeating it will make it sink in, he's right. He explains the different steps, and their order, to get to a nice photograph. Because the Photoshop features are being used in context, you really understand it better.

Still, one should realise that a good retouched picture still requires one to be able to answer the question "how can this picture look better?". Kelby's book will provide some answer (based on his own examples), but you still need to exercise your own judgment. That's a tough part that no book will give.

A worthy complement if you already own a book or two on Photoshop, or know the software somewhat. It's not a complete beginners book, but it's not super advanced either (steps are clear).
on 5 December 2007
I like to think I'm of reasonable intelligence, and fairly computer literate, yet whenever I play with pictures in photoshop I have to laboriously follow the intructions from a book every time.

The 7-point system is different. Firstly, you download the same pictures that Scott Kelby has used in the book. You then carry out the same steps in the same order to produce the same results. You do this 21 times in all. By the end of the process, you pretty much get the hang of the main image tweaking procedures that your average digital snapper will need to use.

It doesn't stop there however. On each exercise, Scott also talks you through another technique which can be easily done within Photoshop, so you get exposed to much more of what the programme offers.

In a nutshell then, you are provided with a system to follow which will improve your pictures, you are given a flavour of what else the program can actually do, and you practice, practice, practice these steps.

About half way through, I was already loading up my own pictures and using the same techniqes on them, and getting good results. Yes, you still need an eye for what you are trying to achieve, but then any amateur photographer already has an eye for "that shot" and knows what they want to see.

If you are already an advanced user, this probably isn't the book for you, but if, like me, you are an aspiring amateur, this book will improve your skills and knowledge.
on 22 January 2008
Scott Kelby has put a lot of thought into producing this book and straight away you find that it's easy to understand approach aids learning. Going through the examples methodically makes learning about Photoshop CS3 much easier and by the end of this book you will be processing your own images more confidently. Please note that the examples given in the book ARE available to download (If you look on page xxi the download location is clearly shown). I have recently progressed from CS to CS3 and this book has helped me a great deal.
on 14 April 2008
As a 70 year old,self taught relative new-comer to PC's, the scope and depth of Photoshop has proved to be almost overwhelming - but where do you start to de-mystify the programme's daunting controls and options?

Teach-yourself books generally assume you have at least a good grounding of computer-speak - and I didn't even know what the shift key was, or how to find it!

I had been browsing through Scott Kelby's tuition sites, and although enlightening they seemed to be just one step too far ahead for we old chaps with an attention span/memory grasp - THEN I bought his 7-Point System and a whole new world opened up before me. Undreamed of techniques unfolded that were readily understood, and the hours of pleasure working through the 21 lessons - some of the more basic I can now do with hardly a glance at the pages.

If you are new to PhotoShop , buy this book. I have a grandson who has been grounded in Adobe CS3 and is in his last university year majoring in Film Making, Production & Anomation - he has worked through my book and now buying his own - I guess no fuller praise than this can be offered.

Scott Kelby's approuch to digital imaging is superb, a bright light shining through the dark magic & mystery.

Just three words - BUY THIS BOOK.
on 22 November 2013
Only having CS3, this was I ideal for me. I had to email the Kelby website to enable me to download the images as the site listed in the book was not coming up and I wondered if it was still available as later versions of Photoshop were out. The Kelby site replied within a few hours and were very helpful. Images downloaded, let training commence!
on 21 January 2014
Contrary to the other books it provides you with a basic workflow instead of teaching you all the PS instrument. It's very well written and fun as well. You can download the picture in order to follow the author step by step on the same image. In addition to the seven-points some trick will be explained in the book.
on 22 May 2013
Scott Kelby's funny style at it's best. This time Scott is able to simplify very complicatedAdobe Photoshophotoshop into usable 7-point system. System is easy to use and works every time. Book is well built, teaching of the system is progressive and it is easy to read.
on 15 December 2015
Excellent, slightly out of date because later versions of Photoshop contain more refinements but nevertheless the content is still very applicable.
on 29 October 2013
This book is very good and it helped me a lot with my photography I would recommend it to anyone
on 8 September 2008
With so many different ways to edit your photographs in photoshop it can get confusing. Not only do you learn some good stuff from all the books out there but if your like me and you don't use it for a while you forget what you have done. At last Scott Kelby has come up with a book that gives you some structure in what to do and when in editing your photos.
The sessions are repetitive but as Scotts says this is how you remember what to do. You get a link in the book that lets you download and work on the same images that Scott does in the book which is a great bonus.
If you are a photographer and what a book that is relevant to how to edit your photos in a logical and easy way then this is the book for you.

Richie